Seaplanes North Extended Gear Review

johnaz

Thanks for all the responses! The input from the group has helped. I'm putting my set on order Monday morning!

I may have a new set available after next week if you are not in a rush. Looking next week at a project that has a new set with it I may not need.
John

Larson

Just a follow up after installation of the Seaplanes HD gear.

Tubing all heavier and larger than stock Aviat. All welds are excellent and extra gussets where aviat doesn’t have it... ie rear attach point!
I used a variety of bungees 2x1380hd’s, 4x1280hd’s ... initially I would say the gear is ‘mushier’ on landing_if you try to bounce it.... this is compared to std gear with 6x1380hd’s@ this setup was definately stiffer in the gear...

I am very happy and like it a lot.... AOSS would be a bonus as cutting bungees off for float change out is a pain! !

Proteus

Just adding to this thread. I'm about to order some extended gear for my husky. It's on wheels all of the time. and based in the temperate climate of the UK. What would the reccomendations for bungees be?

johnaz

Al
Just a follow up after installation of the Seaplanes HD gear.

Tubing all heavier and larger than stock Aviat. All welds are excellent and extra gussets where aviat doesn’t have it... ie rear attach point!
I used a variety of bungees 2x1380hd’s, 4x1280hd’s ... initially I would say the gear is ‘mushier’ on landing_if you try to bounce it.... this is compared to std gear with 6x1380hd’s@ this setup was definately stiffer in the gear...

I am very happy and like it a lot.... AOSS would be a bonus as cutting bungees off for float change out is a pain! !
All should know the welding/manufacture of the Seaplanes gear is done by Atlee Dodge guys in Anchorage, they are the best. John

Larson

Great welding job :)

I am still experimenting with bungee choices ...

‘Mix n match’ I say :)

1380HD seem too stiff and have become very costly...
Combo of 1280HD and 1380 seem to do the trick!

tbienz

I certainly would. All Husky aircraft are already slow. A little slower don’t hurt much. What would hurt is LOC or gear failure in the backcountry. The gear is very well made, thick walled with large diameter tubes. Gives better prop clearance but probably more important is the wider track for stability in rough terrain operations. Not so tall as to compromise forward visibility. I haven’t heard of anyone bending the gear. Also works well for skis...a little extra height keeps the pod off the snow in moderate powder. When it gets really deep, the pod touches anyway.
I’ve sat in a plane with the Aviat extended gear and for my torso length, I think it sets the plane too far upright, blocking forward visibility which can be dangerous early and late in transition. I’ve seen examples of bent standard and Aviat extended gear. Not Atlee (not to say it hasn’t happened, just haven’t heard of it).

wbatz1

I certainly would. All Husky aircraft are already slow. A little slower don’t hurt much. What would hurt is LOC or gear failure in the backcountry. The gear is very well made, thick walled with large diameter tubes. Gives better prop clearance but probably more important is the wider track for stability in rough terrain operations. Not so tall as to compromise forward visibility. I haven’t heard of anyone bending the gear. Also works well for skis...a little extra height keeps the pod off the snow in moderate powder. When it gets really deep, the pod touches anyway.
I’ve sat in a plane with the Aviat extended gear and for my torso length, I think it sets the plane too far upright, blocking forward visibility which can be dangerous early and late in transition. I’ve seen examples of bent standard and Aviat extended gear. Not Atlee (not to say it hasn’t happened, just haven’t heard of it).
If not already done, try a 1 1/2”-2” hard foam “tapered full thickness in back to zero thickness in front, under your foam seat for improved visibility.

tbienz

Thanks. I was just indicating that the deck angle of the Aviat extended gear is such that visibility is compromised (for my size person). I’m sure a pad could help that. But I still feel track width and leg strength to be the Seaplane North Gear’s greatest strong suit. I can see fine with my current gear/seat/31” tires.

wbatz1

Thanks. I was just indicating that the deck angle of the Aviat extended gear is such that visibility is compromised (for my size person). I’m sure a pad could help that. But I still feel track width and leg strength to be the Seaplane North Gear’s greatest strong suit. I can see fine with my current gear/seat/31” tires.
Agree, I have f Atlee Dodge hd 3” extended gear, about 8-9 inches wider track. On 26”gy

jkalus

I was told by Aviat that they have had two Huskys come in for repair where the Seaplanes North Extended Gear “broke” on landing rollout. Has anyone heard of this?

I really like the wider stance. The deck angle might be an advantage for shorter takeoffs? Otherwise I could take it or leave it.

I have the v1.0 A-1 gear so I have some concern about it, though it might be unfounded.

Last edited:

Gust Kalatzes

Thomas, Gust, Lars,
Would you do it again? Was it worth it?
Gust, how much speed did you lose?

Kurt
Kurt, I estimate the speed loss was about 3-4 knots.

Joe, I certainly would. The stability and handling from the wider track and the better angle or height was worth it. The only complaint I have is there are two holes for the brake lines and neither hole lined up with the cut in the belly. A simple 90 deg fitting lined it up without drilling or cutting. Also, It might just be me but it looks like the tire eating alignment has also been removed. If you want to fly mine you are welcome anytime.

I’ve seen one set of extended gear get bent (not the Sea Planes gear but in any case not the gears fault), but my point is too soft of suspension I believe was the cause on a hard landing. The cables did their job but too soft of suspension with the extra gear length makes it easier to get to the cables. I currently have 2 1380’s and 1 1280HD on each side but will go to 3 1380’s. I feel the extra may save me from my occasional opp’s landing...to each his own here.

I’ve not been able to fly for 2 - 3 months but will do some better testing when I get back at it.

Gust

Last edited:

johnaz

I have the extended cub gear and AOSS, lost about 10mph with it uncovered, but then covered the gear and the AOSS and gained back about 8mph. Had one Husky that we put Seaplanes North gear on, good improvement over stock, wider track and more stable, but I hate the bungees and went with the extended cub gear/AOSS, best solution to stock gear. Can see pictures of these on other posts
Doubt the Seaplanes gear would ever break, bigger tubes and far stronger than stock gear. Stock gear attach points are the weak point with Aviat. Think maybe they want the gear to break off before anything else is damaged, it does! it is pretty weak spot.
John

tbienz

I'm thinking about making a project of covering them with fabric and making a removable front and rear fairing equivalent. Removable only to avoid the concerns the FAA may have with welded brackets. I've heard that some of the modern coverings designed for flight surfaces can be heated to drum tightness and come in colors so you don't even need to paint...sounds like a fun project. Perhaps some Adel clamps holding lightweight wood with an aluminum front and rear element followed by glued fabric? Not sure how it would handle the rocks and sticks.