#1 cylinder leakage

Clifford

Annual time. 500 hrsTTSN. Number 1 cylinder has been running 70/80 or 72/80 for the last 2 years. All other cylinders run 78/80 - 79/80/ Number 1 cylinder also always runs hot. This annual I noticed blow-by leakage coming out the exhaust while checking #1 cylinder.

I've had suspicions about #1 for quite some time; mostly blaming the induction system for uneven distribution. But now I'm narrowing it down to lower compression and leakage for that cylinder. Earlier this year I pulled the rocker arms and checked the lifters on #1 cylinder; and they checked out per the Lycoming manual.

So I'm hoping some engine gurus here can steer me as to what to do next. Is there a stop-gap measure short of rebuilt or new cylinders? Any recommendations??
Thanks a ton,

Snowbirdxx

If you have blowby coming from the exhaust ITS the exhaust valve. Fly with some valve cleaning additive for 3 HRS and Check compression again
If IT did Not Help, valveseat needs lapping. Maybe the valve Guides are worn.

Snowbirdxx

When checking the intake system for leaks, there is an easy method. Remove cowls, start engine , let it idle and spray engine starter spray on the questioned parts Joints. If RPM goes up, there is the leak.
If you disassemble the intake, check the flanges / studs on the oilpan, they may be loose.. Replace the rubber hoses with ones from Superior. They will not swell up when cargas is used. . Flanges on the cylinders must be slightly preloaded to be convex, to be able to seal with the thin gasket. Even here are the Superior gaskets better,

flyingjack

I'm not a guru but wouldn't #1 cylinder typically be the coolest running cylinder? Could there be an intake leak causing the heat and finally burning the exhaust valve?

Just a thought.
Gust, I do believe you're in the top 1% of "gurus" on this forum. Thank you for all your input.