Aileron cable tension

Larson

Has anyone had any trouble with vibration of the aileron cables at the rear of the forward struts?
I think the manual calls for 30ft/lb (by memory, don't have manual with me).

I had the L/H one vibrate in flight the other day, I think it might have been related to engine "harmonics" more than something else. Haven't benn able to replicate since.

Cheers Lars..

Jack Threadgill

Yes, Lars, I have. My R/H cable vibrated in cruise. I bent the follower to better line the cable behind the strut and solved the problem.

Aileron cable calls for 25 to 30 lbs.

Jack

Larson

Jack

I think i'll try a few things here. I was going to change the tension a little, maybe a little re-rig while i'm at it.
Thanks for sharing your wire story.

Cheers Lars.

Snowbirdxx

LArs,

try the advise Jack gave you first.It is a 10 second job. Just grab the bellcrack with the housing at the top end of the forward strut and turn it into a position that moves the cable more behind the strut.

The bellcrank can not be aligned with the cable direction by design.Unless you change a lot.

But even on hight time Huskys the phenolic bellcrank shows no wear ir the aileron cables are bot adjusted too srong.

Watch your ailerons in respect to the faps on the ground. Best done where the flap ends and the aileron starts. Since the aileron is thicker, you should be able to see a paralell 1/2 inch stripe of the aileron.

If cable tension is too low,and you are flying this paralell stripe will look way different because the ailerons will get sucked up.

But get rid of the vibration firts , before adjusting the amount of " up sucked Ailerons"

TomD

Larson

Thanks Tom .. A little of bit work is needed by me in this area. Its good to know they can't be too tight, cos 30ft/lb, seems on the highter side of aileron cables?
I think also my flaps could be trimed "up" a tiny bit more..

Cheers lars..

Larson

Have adjusted the aileron cables to 30 ft/lb. Seems to have fixed problem... However ... when i fly in rain (rare in Aust, but I only need to bring out the dog to break the drought), the aileron cables vibrate!
Can't work this one out? They seem to vibrate the most halfway up the strut.
Any ideas?

Lars..

Snowbirdxx

Lars,

that seems to be normal. The raindrops on the struts are kinda small vortex generators, which make the airflow attached longer. Then the detached flow hits the cable.

I tried to have a Vortex Tape from gliders on the struts, did some flow visualisation too. but did not see any increase in airspeed.

Larson

Tom
That makes sense.
Also i now know that the heater isn't really great in the Husky. Kelly has now sent me to the back seat and it sure is "cooler" back there!!
Lars.