Any sources for the flap screw hinge plastic/foam protector? (Head Protector)

kiko lobo

Hello All!

Looking to replace several of them. My guess is there should be a good source for them?

I am talking about the small foam black tubes that protect the screws in the flap hinge, so that you don't bang your head against them.

Thanks!

Snowbirdxx

Any bike shop, cut the handlebar grips in pieces, but much much better is to get Squash balls and cut a slot into them, just lerge enough so that the ball can slide up on the flaphinges.

RB442E

New planes come with them now. They are not the cheap foam ones they are more like a rubber ball material. See pic

Where I buy my fuel the FBO owner has a Husky I was getting fuel one day and his A&P walked out and put the red clown noses on and gave me two spares

harry harper

Two thumbs up for Squash balls. But related, where to obtain the red/white candy stripped tape for the flap arm actuators?
Haven't mustered the courage yet to ask Aviat.

bumper

If you melt a little hole at each end of where you will make the cut, it will help prevent the cut from elongating over time, (a pencil soldering iron or heated nail should do). Drilling the hole would work also, assuming the drill bit is sharp and won't leave tiny tears in the rubber. You can also make the cut first, then use a pliers type hole punch to "terminate" the ends of the slot.

dogday

I picked up the clown noses some time back and never installed them because they looked like a trap for moisture/corrosion cell. I bought my Husky at a government auction and it had short segments of foam pipe insulation covering the hinges with the bottoms open. I think that the best setup would be squash balls installed as Bumper stated above with a small drain hole in the bottom.

Has anyone discovered any ice or water in the bottom of their squash balls? Drain holes might not be necessary.

johnaz

I picked up the clown noses some time back and never installed them because they looked like a trap for moisture/corrosion cell. I bought my Husky at a government auction and it had short segments of foam pipe insulation covering the hinges with the bottoms open. I think that the best setup would be squash balls installed as Bumper stated above with a small drain hole in the bottom.

Has anyone discovered any ice or water in the bottom of their squash balls? Drain holes might not be necessary.
I use a bit of clear silicone to adhere the clown noses, seals up the area. Not much chance of water as they are under the wing. Never had any issues.
John

Flygoat

Hello All!

Looking to replace several of them. My guess is there should be a good source for them?

I am talking about the small foam black tubes that protect the screws in the flap hinge, so that you don't bang your head against them.

Thanks!
I bought red “walker” tennis balls on Amazon. They are specifically made to put on the legs of a walker (walking assist device). Pre cut to slide on and off easily. The seems are white on the balls so the the red and white presence is a good visual deterrent and if you do still walk into one, they do a heck of a job.

Flygoat

I bought red “walker” tennis balls on Amazon. They are specifically made to put on the legs of a walker (walking assist device). Pre cut to slide on and off easily. The seems are white on the balls so the the red and white presence is a good visual deterrent and if you do still walk into one, they do a heck of a job.
Hello All!

Thanks!