Autopilot

FLHusky

Haven’t posted for some time but recently installed the Garmin GFC 500 / GI 275 autopilot setup and trying to figure it out. I have not flown autopilots for many years and I am hoping someone with some experience on this configuration can help.

I understand the Garmin restriction on interfacing the 796 (considered handheld) database. This left me with TRK and HDG options no NAV. Now I have downloaded the database to the 275 and assumed that would allow the autopilot to fly the course to the selected “direct to” destination on the 275.

I thought the sequence would be select a “direct to,” activate the autopilot and select NAV. Doing this accomplished nothing. What do I not understand?

Thanks,

ChipBeck

I have that same combination factory installed in my new Husky and in my airplane there is no way to have the AP track to an airport. As you mentioned only track or heading. For me that’s no big deal. I input the airport identifier into the Garmin 796, read the track to that waypoint, and input that track into the autopilot via the 275. That extra step only takes a few seconds. I’ve used that 3 axis Garmin 500 AP quite a bit and it’s rock solid. Makes cross country flights so effortless I need to play music to stay awake! Cheers.

Chip

FLHusky

I have that same combination factory installed in my new Husky and in my airplane there is no way to have the AP track to an airport. As you mentioned only track or heading. For me that’s no big deal. I input the airport identifier into the Garmin 796, read the track to that waypoint, and input that track into the autopilot via the 275. That extra step only takes a few seconds. I’ve used that 3 axis Garmin 500 AP quite a bit and it’s rock solid. Makes cross country flights so effortless I need to play music to stay awake! Cheers.

Chip
Thanks, I agree that the extra step is not a problem. I just like to know the full capabilities and limitations of the equipment.