Books

FLHusky

On the old list we tried several times to get a list together of favorite aviation books. It seems to me that we could build such a list and keep it here on FlyHusky. Is anyone interested?

Is there a special place this would go?

Should we divide it into catagories such as fiction, non-fiction, biography, autobiography (aka bragging), technical etc.?

Brad Clark

It has been raining, overcast and windy here for a while. I was on another site with the same topic. I ordered several of the recommended books. Just finished: Wager with the Wind, Don Sheldon Story and My Life of Adventure, Norman Vaughan story. Both were good reads. Just starting I Could Never be so Lucky Again, Doolittle story. For a non aviation book, The Rising Tide is a great one.

mvivion

Anything written by Ernest Gann. Especially Fate is the Hunter, Band of Brothers, A Hostage to Fortune.

Flight of the Intruder by Stephen Coonts

Nothing by Chance by Richard Bach.

Lots of others, but these are classics.

Mike

Kinoav8r

Moondog's Academy of the Air and Other Disasters - Peter Fusco

At Amazon.com: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Moondogs-Academy-Air-Other-Disasters/dp/059509709X"] here [/ame]

Scott Musser

Administrator
Staff member
My all-time favorite aviation book was Flight of Passage by Rinker Buck. Should be mandatory reading for any Husky pilot. Great idea Tim.

FLHusky

Scott:
Is there a place we can build this list and maintain it on the site? I would be glad to volunteer to do the maintenance.

The recommendations could come to me and I could clean them up and add useful info and then post them to a secured page.

Scott Musser

Administrator
Staff member
When I complete the upgrade to vBulletin 4.0 (I've already purchased the upgrade, just need time to complete it), it has a blogging plugin that would work for this. In the meantime, let's have everyone add to this thread and then we can build it out from there.

barbwire

Just back from a week in Mexico.
Took along two books;
The Arctic Fox--- a story about Don Braun written by John Warren
Arctic Bush Pilot---a story about Andy Anderson written by Jim Rearden
Both decent reads that kept my interest up.

Tim,
"Husky 101" by Jeff Welch.
"Flying the Husky" should be required reading by anyone with a Husky.
He wrote it in 2008 and is an excellent reference. It is excellent!
Mark

Jerry Cain

This is not about an aviation book, but fits the category of "Books" so please forgive me for using this forum to promote my wife’s new novel and for duplicating the email that some of you have already received. So to keep it short, I will just copy the email that went out to our family and friends. Thanks for your indulgence, for your unwavering support to the RAF, and for being a great resource in the Husky arena.

Jer

Jerome M. Cain jcain@theraf.org
Lincoln, Montana
Co-Founder – Director Emeritus
Recreational Aviation Foundation www.theraf.org
Keeping the legacy of recreational aviation strong by preserving, maintaining and creating public use recreational and backcountry airstrips nationwide.
JOIN TEAM RAF!

Dear friends and family,

Today (8/24/2012) on Jerry’s and my 50th wedding anniversary, 500 copies of my novel, Once to Every Man, arrived on the doorstep! I had the idea 50 years ago, re-wrote it last summer, added a Part Two, traveled to Africa [as most of you know] and walked in the land and the ocean where my characters Reena, Jim, and Dakimu struggled with self-doubt, pain, and heartache, and ultimately reconciliation, love, and redemption. The novel earned the Editor’s Choice award, and I’m hoping you will wish to add it to your library. It will be available later in book stores and on internet sources, but if any of you wish an autographed, discounted hard-back [22.95] or soft cover [12.95], with free shipping for one book through September, please send a check to PO Box 1057 Lincoln, MT 59639.

Jerry and I will be gone to Ashland, OR, from September 1st through the 17th, but I will get the books in the mail, as soon as I return. Any orders I receive this week will go out this week. Ten or more copies for book clubs will be $10 each plus shipping to one address. Your interest is deeply appreciated, and I hope you will look forward to my second novel, which is full of HORSES, and is almost ready to go to the publisher.

Love and good reading to all!
Elizabeth Cain

Elizabeth O. Cain
1679 Lone Point Drive
PO Box 1057
Lincoln MT 59639-1057
406-362-4743 (H)
406-422-7507 (C)
sgr@linctel.net

gkirkpatrick

I second Stick and Rudder, and Spirit of St. Louis. Both are at the top of my list for non-fiction aviation books. Coonts' Flight of the Intruder, and The Intruders are at the top of my aviation fiction list. And I enjoyed Flight of the Old Dog by Dale Brown, another bit of fiction, as well.

AGB-A1Fun

"A Thousand Shall Fall" by Murray Peden. How Canadian farm boys ended up in RCAF Bomber Command. Little known, and a fantastic tale.

Also, an introductory "hello". I just bought a beautiful 450 hr. '91 Husky A1 on wip 2100 amphibs today!

Ak Kurt

Welcome AGB! Congratulations on your new airplane, make sure you post photos.

Kurt

"A Thousand Shall Fall" by Murray Peden. How Canadian farm boys ended up in RCAF Bomber Command. Little known, and a fantastic tale.

Also, an introductory "hello". I just bought a beautiful 450 hr. '91 Husky A1 on wip 2100 amphibs today!