Broken gear

JB430

I am a new Husky owner and unfortunately had the left gear break on rollout after an otherwise completely soft and effortless landing. What a shock! It’s 1990
with only 540 TT.
The gear appears to have broken at the welds covered by Aviat SB 20. I don’t have any log evidence it was done.
My mechanic (we have a Husky dealership here at IDA) feels the large tires contribute to the stresses
on the gear. I spoke to Jeff Welch who told me he is considering a chapter on this issue in his new book.
I have 3 questions:
1) Has anyone else participated in an event like this?
2) Do I really need tundra tires in Idaho? I have landed at many of the back country strips in my 182.
3) I think beefier gear replacements are in order.
There seem to be several options. Any thoughts
considering cost, lead time and satisfaction?
Thanks

Snowbirdxx

Happend a few times here, SGS solved the problem pretty good. Especially with skis or big tires on the rebound. Hope the rest of the plane is ok.

RamBuster

I also have a '90 A1, and had a gear failure. Lucky for me a bent tube was all that happened and was able to fly out for a gear swap. The original A1 gear are not as heavy as later models, or of course seaplanes/atlees HD gear. In my case rough terrain on a mountain plateau coupled with 31's aired too high and being loaded heavy were the prime culprits.

Afterwords went with the extended HD and the super SGS. Nothing but positives to say, anywhere I am comfortable landing it soakes it up with ease. In rough terrain 6PSI on the big tires makes a world of difference in what they can absorb. Seaplanes Alaska were awesome to deal with and had my set in the mail the day after I called. Very happy with the product and the service.

harry harper

Attention gotten with this thread..
I've got a 91 with ski gear.
Plus 31s and super SGS.
Increased GW via TD's ski STC.
Lots of off airport OPS in the Owyhee's.
Is that gear any more "beefy" than the non ski gear??

JB430

I also have a '90 A1, and had a gear failure. Lucky for me a bent tube was all that happened and was able to fly out for a gear swap. The original A1 gear are not as heavy as later models, or of course seaplanes/atlees HD gear. In my case rough terrain on a mountain plateau coupled with 31's aired too high and being loaded heavy were the prime culprits.

Afterwords went with the extended HD and the super SGS. Nothing but positives to say, anywhere I am comfortable landing it soakes it up with ease. In rough terrain 6PSI on the big tires makes a world of difference in what they can absorb. Seaplanes Alaska were awesome to deal with and had my set in the mail the day after I called. Very happy with the product and the service.
Thanks

harry harper

I am a new Husky owner and unfortunately had the left gear break on rollout after an otherwise completely soft and effortless landing. What a shock! It’s 1990
with only 540 TT.
The gear appears to have broken at the welds covered by Aviat SB 20. I don’t have any log evidence it was done.
My mechanic (we have a Husky dealership here at IDA) feels the large tires contribute to the stresses
on the gear. I spoke to Jeff Welch who told me he is considering a chapter on this issue in his new book.
I have 3 questions:
1) Has anyone else participated in an event like this?
2) Do I really need tundra tires in Idaho? I have landed at many of the back country strips in my 182.
3) I think beefier gear replacements are in order.
There seem to be several options. Any thoughts
considering cost, lead time and satisfaction?
Thanks
JB I'm curious why your mechanic feels that "large tires" contribute to gear stress. I went from 8.50s to 31" ABW and those tires absorb bumps that would have knocked my fillings out with the 8.50s. I have changed my landing MO to not landing on pavement. Which eliminates that first big Chirp encountered with pavement. Have to be a bit choosey about which airports to go to. Like ones with a suitable surface usually adjacent to pavement. But agreed that "tundra tires" are not really necessary at most of Idaho's backcountry strips. I.e in the Salmon/Snake river drainages. Much of the action we see is off airport in the Owyhee's and big tires are sorta mandatory. I have become a 31"AWB fanboy and they make my Husky even more fun.
Sounds like your damage was in the" just a flesh wound category". But attention gotten and will get a thorough inspect on mine soon.

Jeb

I think the damage that big tires can cause is from the gear hitting the stops on rebound…thus SGS being a solution.

Thomas?

Gust Kalatzes

If memory is correct, the SB was to inspect the "inadequate" welds on the gear axle due to failure like this (if I understand what failed on your gear). I would agree the additional weight of bush wheel tire hitting the "Hard" fiber stops could add to the problem but a bad weld is a bad weld. The damage was not just to the axle in past when heavier skies, bush wheels (or not) were installed and the plane absorbed a hard landing, then a very hard rebound against the stop. It could also bend the cabane strut...I've seen several. Someone (don't remember right off) in Alaska came out with a little tube (field approval) that bolted to the main gear leg and cabane strut in the middle to strengthen or keep the cabane strut from bending upon rebound. If someone went to the trouble of selling this mod it happened enough to warrant making the mod. I bought one but never could get it approved without expensive engineering.

I felt there were two ways to fix the problem, first was Tom D's brilliant SGS and the other was lighter bungees. The extremely stiff bungy combo on my 99 did not flex at all unless you hit the ground pretty hard and when it rebound hitting the stops you knew it. The heavier the tire, skies, etc., the more potential damage. I felt a little softer bungy set up along with Tom D's SGS solved the problem. The newer shock dog gear of course helped with this issue and plants the airplane if you plop it in...great change by the factory. Too soft of bungies and you risk hitting the cable stops bending the gear (have seen that too) the other way and potentially the airframe (again my opinion). Also, if you don't mind changing bungees more often, go softer. The correct bungee combo has been debated here quite a bit and each to their own.

As for bush wheel tires. They are not required or really needed in Idaho or anywhere you have an established dirt or gravel strip, provided you stay on the strip. I have seen a plane saved on rollout at Root Ranch going through a 1 to 1.5' deep ditch because it left the runway. If you "need" bush wheels because you land off runway, then you need them. I have them because they keep my prop higher out of the dirt and gravel, look cool, land like pillows and give me a little more protection if I feel like lading off field, etc. They are very expensive and slow the plane 4-5 kts at least but...

The Seaplanes Alaska/Atlee gear are very robust comparing tube size and looks but are a solid 4-5 kts slower uncovered and I think 2 - 4 lbs heavier or more than factory extended gear. I'm not sure if you can legally cover them or if that is an option today? If I'm not mistaken, some of the tire wearing angles have been taken out which I think is a very good thing with bush wheels. The width is a game changer in my opinion on rollout, cross wind and ground handling. The height is nice to. The factory covered extended gear is a little different in that they are actually lighter (I think 1.85 lbs) than the stock factory shorter gear. They are mounted axle center almost 2 inches further forward (not sure I like this) but otherwise dimensionally close to the Sea Planes gear. I chose or had to purchase the factory extended gear (shock dog) this time because they were covered (not much speed loss if any) and legal that way. If you do buy the factory extended gear DO NOT purchase the welded step! I felt it was ugly but I also believe it was in part the cause of a friends gear failure at the welded on step...just my opinion tho. Last time I purchased or priced the two gear, the Sea Planes gear was $4,500 and the factory shock dog extended gear was about $7,000+ covered...several years ago.

Sorry to hear about your airplane but happy you did not get hurt! Just my 2 cents worth of opinions.

Best,

Last edited:

Larson

I went with the Seaplanes gear years ago (wth Toms SGS), I figured that was my ‘insurance’ for gear failure, to date I haven’t regretted it!

tbienz

Ditto on the Seaplanes North extended gear and SGS plus 31" ABW and BBW. It is slower, but the wide stance is fantastic and the gear is very robust. Landings with low pressure bush wheels are MUCH softer and easier to "stick" than with the 850's. Large tires are insurance. Agreed you don't need them on the Idaho strips. But if you fly around and look for places to land that aren't strips at all, they are good insurance for the unexpected rock/rut/log hiding in the tall grass.

Tommy2

The new super SGS is a series of rubber bumpers installed on the upper landing gear. It’s placed so it cushions the impact of the gear spreading ( go up ) and hitting the frame. Stops rebound and the airplane bouncing and in the extreme case lost of control. SnowbirdXX sells them, reasonably priced and a really good idea.

David

I had an1987 A1. My mechanic and I went through each and every SB and brought my plane into compliance. These are not mandatory and a lot of A&Ps do not do them. Here is SB20: https://aviataircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/hsb20.pdf The bulletin says that it should be complied with no later than 25 hours after the SB came out. I also went with "SNOWBIRD's" gross weight increase STC, SGS (later replaced with Super SGS) and sleeved the axle when the weld fillet was being done. I flew 400+ hours after this with 8.50s and landed all over Idaho, Nevada, N. Cal, some in NM and Arizona. If landing where there is not a Jeep road or dirt strip, bigger tires would be better.