Snowbirdxx

Flying to Jonathan from my homebase is 245 miles, it includes crossing the Alps where the North South width of the centeral Alps is the greatest. Almost 110 miles wide with peaks of 13800ft.
Jonathan is a beautiful gras strip on the island " Grave di Papadopuli" on the Piave river in the midst of Prosecco fields. All the reaturants in that area have Prosecco on tap.
The closeby " Locanda Glorioso Piave" serves excellent seafood and other dishes in a very relaxed ambiente and they even pick you from the airstrip up. Walking would be 2 miles, but the last 1/2 mile is over the Piave bridge where there is no walkway.
The flight home was at 10 in the morning with variable light winds forecasted in 11.000 ft. That promised a smooth ride. The Husky purred like a cat climbing to 11.000 and trued out at 124 mph with a fuelfow of 6,7 Gal/ hr at a fuel/ air ratio of 14.3. After xing the Alps, we went to 7500ft, to give more oxygen to Gina, our dog.
ATC was awesome and the only turn we had to do was putting us on final to Pattonville where we landed after 2hr and 14 min.
IMG_20190420_163648.jpg IMG_20190419_090553.jpg IMG_20190420_200913.jpg IMG_20190420_210322.jpg IMG_20190421_094933.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190420_200913.jpg
    IMG_20190420_200913.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Ak Kurt

Thomas,

I know you always eat well. Does it show???

Looks and sounds like a great trip!

Kurt

Snowbirdxx

Well...it looks like Gina hasn’t missed many meals!:D
Thomas, in fact Gina is not missing any meal, but in her flightsuit, an old down verst of mine, she does definetly not look skinny. But for a 11 year old Lab shes ok.
@ Kurt I love to eat good food! My size is 1m 79cm at 162 lbs and the rend on the weight is down. Thats from less Prosecco and more water, which is good in the morning hrs too.

tbienz

Cool. We have a 12yo German Shepherd that still flies with us as well. Good companions.
I thought of you last week. I had just finished a long ski ascent of the mountains above Chamonix. We got on the upper glacier and headed for the Trient Hut in Switzerland when a small low-wing monoplane with canopy landed next to us with skis that look just like yours. 6 day Haute Route Trip was beautiful.

Last edited:

gschuppan

Those sound like great trips. I have two bulldogs I would like to take in the Husky with me. Does the noise bother your dogs? Do they fly in the seat/cargo area or do you have a special setup for the Husky?

Snowbirdxx

The lab is wearing Mutmuffs. She is totally relaxed on smooth rides. I have a plywood plate on to of the luggage. On top of the plate is a lambskin. If we do not carry luggage we have a light foldable box that goes under the plywood plate.

tbienz

Mine don't usually fly with me in the Husky...just in the MU-2. They wear MuttMuffs. One weighs 130# and the other 90# so they really don't fit well in the Husky and would play Hell with the W&B back there.

Proteus

My Cocker spaniel loves going flying, although he's still young and a work in progress for the best position. So far he's only sat on my girlfriends knee (with the stick removed) and loves it. I was a bit concerned about the noise so bought him some mutt muffs, he's only tried them once but didn't immediately throw them off. He did knock them off on my seatbelt though trying to get a better view out the front.

When I get the time I'm going to try to come up with a solution for him in the baggage behind the pax seat. IMG-20190502-WA0013.jpg

Last edited: