Challenger Oil Filter?

TheMosquito

Has anyone seen/used these reusable oil filters? I know they are not STC'd for the Lycoming but I was thinking of asking them if they had plans to get them approved. Wasn't sure if anyone has had experience with them. Seems like a good alternative considering its impossible to find oil filters readily available.

groshel

STC’d for Lycomings per their website

groshel

But 5 year calendar life plus a $12.50 replaceable o-ring doesn’t make it terribly cost effective for most.

TheMosquito

But 5 year calendar life plus a $12.50 replaceable o-ring doesn’t make it terribly cost effective for most.
I’m just thinking that it would be nice not having to deal with these supply chain issues that don’t seem to be going away. I rack up hours relatively fast so my oil changes are pretty frequent. That’s why I’m looking into it.

I see you are right about it being approved for lycoming. Guess I should have looked at the other filter models.

Gust Kalatzes

I have one and can’t really say anything bad about it other than it’s a little messy to clean. The o-ring can be sourced for a lot less but not sure there is a lot of savings by the time you clean it. I suppose it depends on how many hours you are flying and if filters are available?

The paper filter gets changed every other oil change or about 50 hours…25 oil and 50 filter. I paid $230 for mine couple years back…at $350 now or 11.5 oil changes (550 hours) plus o-ring V’s $30/filter not sure if it makes sense. Great product though!

bjan11

I have one on my Cardinal RG. It seems to work great. Lovely machined piece. The 5 year / 1250 hour ICAW replacement is not legally binding for part 91 operators, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if you slightly overflew it.

Bowser

I have been using this filter for the past 7 years (800 Hrs). What I love about it, it is easy to open and inspect for contaminants and the magnet in it will catch any metal chip your engine might spit. Beat opening a standard filter and spreading the filter element to find contaminants. And being reusable is smart for the environment.