Chatham

GreggMotonaga

My wife and I recently returned from a trip to Boston. We had some time before needing to come home so we decided to drive to Cape Cod for some sight seeing. On the drive down we developed a flat tire and diverted to Norwood Airport where we could exchange our rental car. While at the Avis counter, the associate saw that we were from AK and said, "there is an Alaska Bush plane outside on large tires and a picture of a dog on the tail".

I couldn't resist and went outside to find Bill Brine aka "Glider" fueling up for his return flight home to the Vineyard. 337AM is a beautiful, IFR, new-wing, 3-blade-MT-driven husky only a few serial numbers away from mine. We had a nice chat about sharks "great whites swim off the cape" among other things. We weren't able to accept the gracious offer for a flight given our time constraints, but it would have been amazing to see great whites from the air.

We had breakfast the next morning at the Chatham airport restaurant called the Hangar B. All I can say is that it was one of the best breakfasts I can ever remember. If I could fly from AK for the $4000 apple French toast tomorrow I would. It was seriously that good.

All that to really say that it was great to see some healthy aviation going on down south. And great to see another Husky driver.

joemcd

I met Bill this summer at New Holstein, WI during the STOL demo. We were the two Huskys at the SuperCub.org flyin. Bill is a great guy and I enjoyed talking to him. It's cool that you bumped into him randomly like that.

Gregg, I hope you enjoyed your time in the lower 48. I'm envious of your home base and I hope ski flying season treats you well.

Joe

bumper

We were the two Huskys at the SuperCub.org flyin.

Joe

Joe,

That was wise of you guys goin' in together like that. I've heard those Super Cubs are sly, wiley, and cagey, they'll work as a pack and quickly turn on a lone Husky. Two Huskys? They know better than to mess with two.:p

Edit: I was just thinking about what I wrote . . . feeling bad about maybe painting Huskys in bad light, you know, being a bit "rowdy" an all. Well, true, the pack mentality is surely ingrained in the Huskys, maybe more even than with Cubs. But, when a group of Huskys come together as they are wont to do at the Root Ranch each year (thanks Paul), and if there's only a lone Cub, why we take 'em under our wing, treat them real kind like they wuz kin, a pup, as a big dog will treat a smaller dog. Huskys are nice that way.

Last edited:

GreggMotonaga

The Husky and 185 are both waiting for the right time for the change to skis. Last year the snow was so bad that only the husky made it on skis. Maybe those Bostonians will share some snow with Alaska this year.

Glider

Great to meet another Husky driver.
Huskies are few and far between in New England especially so since Kurt moved to Kalamazoo.
We are seeing mid day temps in the high 60's. Unusually warm for us this time of year. Skis are still tucked in the back of the hangar.

Glider

Joe,

That was wise of you guys goin' in together like that. I've heard those Super Cubs are sly, wiley, and cagey, they'll work as a pack and quickly turn on a lone Husky. Two Huskys? They know better than to mess with two.:p

Edit: I was just thinking about what I wrote . . . feeling bad about maybe painting Huskys in bad light, you know, being a bit "rowdy" an all. Well, true, the pack mentality is surely ingrained in the Huskys, maybe more even than with Cubs. But, when a group of Huskys come together as they are wont to do at the Root Ranch each year (thanks Paul), and if there's only a lone Cub, why we take 'em under our wing, treat them real kind like they wuz kin, a pup, as a big dog will treat a smaller dog. Huskys are nice that way.

Cub folks treat me well.
I think a few Husky owners who are still learning to fly have given the breed a bad name with the cub folks.
The two Huskies at the SuperCub fly in did ok in their competition. Most of the Cubs competing are experimental or should be if ever compared to the type cert. No complaint about the Cubs just the facts. So two regular Joes in stock Huskies can do OK with the Cubs. We all had fun.