Cowl door prop?

cltanno

I know this is probably a stupid question, but.

On my 2021 A1-C-200 there is no way to prop the right cowl door open - you have to hold it up or it falls back down into the closed position. If you have to add oil, it's kinda annoying because you need one hand to hold the door up while the other hand has to deal with holding the funnel in place and pouring the oil at the same time. And with bush tires the whole thing is kinda high up off the ground, which doesn't make it any easier.

I'm thinking of just making some stick or dowel to prop it open temporarily, but if anyone has any better ideas, I would be grateful.

Snowbirdxx

Solution #1
just open the otherside as well and tie them together with a rubberband that you hook up to the front camlocks. Price 2 c

Solution#2
Buy a linear actuator from Pilatus or Beech. Hook it up to your cowldoor after getting a STC. Now you can remote control it after opening the camlocks Price 28.000 $

Your choice.

greetings Tom

bfarm

I know this is probably a stupid question, but.

On my 2021 A1-C-200 there is no way to prop the right cowl door open - you have to hold it up or it falls back down into the closed position. If you have to add oil, it's kinda annoying because you need one hand to hold the door up while the other hand has to deal with holding the funnel in place and pouring the oil at the same time. And with bush tires the whole thing is kinda high up off the ground, which doesn't make it any easier.

I'm thinking of just making some stick or dowel to prop it open temporarily, but if anyone has any better ideas, I would be grateful.
I just use my head to hold it up

Snowbirdxx

Nice pic above of the lower cowl. You can clearly see the two countersunk bolts of the lower cowl, that are aligned with the camlocks and are covered by the cowldoors.
This part of the lower cowl often cracks. If you remove the bolts and outdrill the hole to about 9mm, then use a tinnerman washer and the countersunk bolt, the cracking is eliminated.
A thing known for 20 years and still being ignored.

groshel

Ok, maybe another stupid comment….

On my old 180 HP A-1B I just flipped the side cowl back over the top center section and did what I needed to do.

Does the hinge on the bigger engines not allow that?

Chris

nightflyer

Ok, maybe another stupid comment….

On my old 180 HP A-1B I just flipped the side cowl back over the top center section and did what I needed to do.

Does the hinge on the bigger engines not allow that?

Chris
That’s as far as the 200hp cowling door goes. It will stay up by itself but if there’s any wind it’ll fall back down.