Extended HD Gear - Seaplanes North vs. Factory?

Snowbirdxx

Here is a pic from the new leading edges for the seaplane north or any other gear which needs a fairing.

The toilet paper cores simulate the fronttube. On the open end you can cleardly see the downset, where the aluminum fairing will be attached to

Attachments

• 1658050078293.jpg
    1658050078293.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 71

Snowbirdxx

No, there will only be 2 foam ribs and the Aluminium cover wrapped around on top, like the standard gear. Lower cover rivetrd to the top one.

Last edited:
FWIW, I attached my original A1 fairings to the SPN extended gear without welding the spacers on. I’ve got about 30 hours that way and it seems fine. It definitely speeds it up and I like the look better.

Pudz

I would like some Tom if you plan to make a few. I will share the postage to Australia with Lars !
Pudz

Snowbirdxx

Pudz,

let me first get one set installed, then I can have new leading edges made and have instructions that work. Tom

Bowser

I’m a Canadian operator and I fly my 98 A-1 on Datum 2500 retractable and Aero 2000 straight skis. The key to make your stock landing gear « stronger » is to install jury struts between your streamlined tube and the fwd tube and install a set of Super SGS. That way, you can keep your fairings on. Save $$$ and down time. I have been flying with that config since 2011 and I have no complains. Cheers
Hi Folks,

Looking ahead to ski season here in the Canadian North (NWT) and considering extended gear for my A1. I know that the A1 has some of the weaker gear among the fleet, and 6 months of M2000 straight boards operations will warrant an upgrade. In the summers I am running 31" ABWs

Are there any thoughts out there on going for the Seaplanes North option vs the factory extended? I known "letting it all hang out" with an extra 3" on the gear will slow down airspeed, but how much are folks typically seeing?

Appreciate the input

RB

belloypilot

I’m a Canadian operator and I fly my 98 A-1 on Datum 2500 retractable and Aero 2000 straight skis. The key to make your stock landing gear « stronger » is to install jury struts between your streamlined tube and the fwd tube and install a set of Super SGS. That way, you can keep your fairings on. Save $$$ and down time. I have been flying with that config since 2011 and I have no complains. Cheers
Photos?

Snowbirdxx

The strut described by bowser is a STC from AVALASKa from 1991. Since it is connecting the diagonal strut with the forward strut , it is reducing the critical knicking lenght of the diagonal strut. If the gear is on the rebound after a defection, , the sudden stop of the gear compresses the diagonal strut. Any strut has a critical lenght where it will knick / bow at a given force. The shorter the length, the higher the force required. Assume you have a diagonal stut 100ft long. one end is fixed and one end is compressing. It will only take a few lbs and the strut will bow. The same strut only 1 ft long, can take maybe 1000 lbs till it bows / knicks.
With Super SGS the rebound forces are greatly reduced and the Av Alaska strut is not necesarry.

Snowbirdxx

We just finished the first installation of gearlegfairings with our new gear leading edge part on a Seaplanes Nurth extended landing gear. The aluminum gearfairings of the old short Aviat gear can be used. They just need to be cut to size. No welding required.

johnaz

We just finished the first installation of gearlegfairings with our new gear leading edge part on a Seaplanes Nurth extended landing gear. The aluminum gearfairings of the old short Aviat gear can be used. They just need to be cut to size. No welding required.
Thomas,
What kind of speed did you gain with the fairings?
John

Snowbirdxx

Could not fly the plane, OH engine was installed and the governor leaked, plus one primer line was US. Has to drive home over the Alps berfore a snowstorm with freezing rain came.

The gearfairing used was shortened long before by the previous owner to install mudflaps. A regular fairing would be as long as the fiberglass white leading edge. The pic shows the white new leading edge and the old aluminum fairing. Had no time to repaint the top, where the fairing from the fuselage meets the landing gear,
1671353839513.jpg

Snowbirdxx

The gearlegs have wooden plywood Blocks attached with Speed Tape. Two in the Front , two in the Training Edge. Insider IS a foamcire a Bit harder than what Aviat puts in. I ll add a pic later.

Snowbirdxx

Here is a pic of the crossection Leading edge / front tube the sharp downset for the metal gear fairing can be seen clearly. The airfoil is the same as on the gearlegs of the GB1. I am using this in a shorter version as a slide on to my existing factory gear. Very little grass pickup since then. gearfairingcrossection.jpg