Flap Extension Speed Exceeded

hallwaypd

I departed today in my A-1B with 20 deg flaps for a short takeoff. With an extensive amount of training traffic in the pattern and my first flight with the door open, I found myself distracted and failed to retract the flaps. I noticed the performance difference, but being new to the Husky, I chalked it up to one of the first warm days I've had with the airplane. By the time I noticed, I had been flying with flaps 20 at right around 100 MPH for about 4 minutes. Did several landings and the flaps seemed fine, nothing visual that I can see. My questions for the experts here... is this anything I should have my IA dig into this further and inspect or should I not be concerned?

Last edited:

flyingjack

Over the years, I've pulled one notch several times in Husky and str tail 182 to slow down when entering pattern to maintain separation with some of our local students that are doing 2 mile patterns and never had any adverse issues. May be the wrong thing to do but hasn't been an issue and we check rollers at annual.
YMMV

hallwaypd

Inspection today.. no issues at all. I’ll be more vigilant in the future but goes to show how tough are these planes.

Snowbirdxx

BE shure, the Husky ist very strong and there in No damage. I once inspected one that flew 130 mph with flaps 3.

trapper

Not the first guy to do that I can guarantee you. I did it years ago and no issues. They are tough

Jeeper

I did pull power right away but I don’t think I waited below 80 before retracting them.
I departed today in my A-1B with 20 deg flaps for a short takeoff. With an extensive amount of training traffic in the pattern and my first flight with the door open, I found myself distracted and failed to retract the flaps. I noticed the performance difference, but being new to the Husky, I chalked it up to one of the first warm days I've had with the airplane. By the time I noticed, I had been flying with flaps 20 at right around 100 MPH for about 4 minutes. Did several landings and the flaps seemed fine, nothing visual that I can see. My questions for the experts here... is this anything I should have my IA dig into this further and inspect or should I not be concerned?
You are way "over working it"..........go fly the plane.