HD Extended Gear Failure Report

John Young

Seaplanes North has issued a “mandatory service bulletin” for removal of the gear. They are formulating a plan to replace/rework the gear. But it sounds like it will take a very long time.
Any takes on the impact of the bulletin? Seaplanes has been very active/reactive with my inquiries, however, does admit the solution, as they see it right now, will take a long time. They’re actively seeking input to provide to the FAA…hopefully this will help them get to a solution faster. I’ve had mine on since 2018 and put more than 500 hours on them. I absolutely love how much more stable the gear is and forgiving…especially for backcountry operations. I’ve used mine to develop the ArkanSTOL competition course, explore the backcountry of Arkansas and compete in many STOL competitions. It’s definitely been exercised and so far no issues. I’m in a bit of quandary on what to do next…airplane is grounded and competition season is in full swing.

Proteus

I've been busy working and haven't been able to fly much sadly. Just catching up on this. I've had no issues yet but will be taking a good look. Taking the gear off and shipping it back to alaska and being left with a non functional aircraft is not ideal.

What is everyone else doing? I'm going to have a thorough inspection when I'm next at the aircraft and will probably make the occasional flights with inspections on pretty good surfaces.

flyingjack

I have a complete A1-C MLG set powdered coated black that I would be willing to loan if Husky was grounded. Must return in like condition. PM if needed.

John Young

It’s not an AD.
Agreed…but read the “Findings” section. By this Service Letter Seaplanes is defining all of the gear as “unapproved parts” that have to be removed immediately. I’m having discussions with my IA right now…he’s digging into this to see if an annual can be signed off with unapproved parts on the airplane…right now the belief is no.
So while it’s not an AD and therefore not a requirement to fly…it may be something that can’t be signed off in an annual inspection…which is where I’m at right now. Thoughts?

John Young

I have a complete A1-C MLG set powdered coated black that I would be willing to loan if Husky was grounded. Must return in like condition. PM if needed.
Thank you..that’s very kind and I may take you up on that offer. I’m in KC so not that far away. Waiting a bit to see how this works out.

tbienz

My understanding (and I’m not an IA or an A&P) is that Seaplanes North believes that some or all of the HD extended gear legs may be missing the doubler.
The gear was installed as an approved part with appropriate FAA paperwork. That has not changed. But the claim is that IF the gear legs on an individual aircraft don’t have the doubler, then they don’t meet the requirements for an approved part.
We do not know if any one gear set has the doubler or not. Until the gear is removed and X-rayed or drilled, it can’t be known.
This doesn’t seem much different than any other “mandatory service bulletin” put out by a company seeking to force action by owners using their equipment. They are NOT mandatory. It might well be wise to comply, but until the FAA researches it and agrees the gear must come off (issuance of an AD) I don’t think any SB is “mandatory” especially not in Part 91 operations.
I have operated my aircraft virtually entirely off-field with this gear since 2014 on rough backcountry strips and on mountain meadows as well as on skis in winter. It has been fantastic for stability and strength.
Could it break tomorrow? Yes. But so could other gear.
My hope is that they determine some of the later gear legs were missing the doubler and that’s why some collapsed or bent within a single season of use while the early versions had double wall legs.
I just finished my annual this month (right before the SB was sent). I guess if next year my IA says it’s “mandatory,” then maybe it is, but that certainly has not been the case with prior mandatory SB’s for other aircraft. If the FAA elects to issue an AD, then “game over,” the planes are all grounded unless other gear can be found.
If that happens, I’ll probably buy Aviat extended gear because I don’t get the impression that Seaplanes North has the capability to correct/resolve/analyze this in a rapid manner.

John Young

My understanding (and I’m not an IA or an A&P) is that Seaplanes North believes that some or all of the HD extended gear legs may be missing the doubler.
The gear was installed as an approved part with appropriate FAA paperwork. That has not changed. But the claim is that IF the gear legs on an individual aircraft don’t have the doubler, then they don’t meet the requirements for an approved part.
We do not know if any one gear set has the doubler or not. Until the gear is removed and X-rayed or drilled, it can’t be known.
This doesn’t seem much different than any other “mandatory service bulletin” put out by a company seeking to force action by owners using their equipment. They are NOT mandatory. It might well be wise to comply, but until the FAA researches it and agrees the gear must come off (issuance of an AD) I don’t think any SB is “mandatory” especially not in Part 91 operations.
I have operated my aircraft virtually entirely off-field with this gear since 2014 on rough backcountry strips and on mountain meadows as well as on skis in winter. It has been fantastic for stability and strength.
Could it break tomorrow? Yes. But so could other gear.
My hope is that they determine some of the later gear legs were missing the doubler and that’s why some collapsed or bent within a single season of use while the early versions had double wall legs.
I just finished my annual this month (right before the SB was sent). I guess if next year my IA says it’s “mandatory,” then maybe it is, but that certainly has not been the case with prior mandatory SB’s for other aircraft. If the FAA elects to issue an AD, then “game over,” the planes are all grounded unless other gear can be found.
If that happens, I’ll probably buy Aviat extended gear because I don’t get the impression that Seaplanes North has the capability to correct/resolve/analyze this in a rapid manner.
I definitely hope your analysis is correct. I don’t know of any other SBs and manufacturers that have come out and said that because of research they found out that a part was never approved. What they are saying is that in fact the parts weren’t installed with approved FAA paperwork. I am an A&P and have a very close relationship with my IA…we’re trying to work through this.

I also share your hope they are able to determine which gear have the double wall or have a method other than full removal is necessary. I’m also hopeful that they find a way to “approve“ the existing gear part numbers.

belloypilot

Is there an extended gear option from Aviat that retrofits on our earlier models?

tbienz

Is there an extended gear option from Aviat that retrofits on our earlier models?
Good question…I assumed they had an option for older planes but their website doesn’t say so. The new extended gear (by which I think they are referring to the damped suspension (shock dog) is only for S/N 3142 and up.
I thought I’ve seen an un-damped version on some older planes but I may have recalled that incorrectly.
If not, I suppose the choices are regular Aviat gear legs or standard SN HD gear.