Heel pans

Redsaviation

Don't mean to hijack here but does anyone make a sturdy heel pan cover to remove the pan. I am 5'11 and have a size 11 foot. I find myself always hunting for some brake. I only have 35 hours in the dog and may end up liking them but thought I would ask. Yes I could make some but was curious about the options.
Thanks to all.

Snowbirdxx

I do not really understand what you mean, but if you do not like the pans, cover them with a structured aluminum plate from Homedepot aerospace. Keep them in place with velcro. After more than 10 years using this setup, I had to change the self adhesive velcro.

groshel

Don't mean to hijack here but does anyone make a sturdy heel pan cover to remove the pan. I am 5'11 and have a size 11 foot. I find myself always hunting for some brake. I only have 35 hours in the dog and may end up liking them but thought I would ask. Yes I could make some but was curious about the options.
Thanks to all.
You don’t have to go with the full depth of the Fiberglas pan if it’s too deep.

I’m 6’ 2” with a long torso and medium legs….the full depth of the pan didn’t work for my comfort so I got a block of 3” balsa and cut it almost in half…say
1 1/4” and 1 3/4”. Sized them to fit the pan then velcroed them to the bottom.
I topped the balsa with 1/4” aluminum honeycomb panel (thick sheet Al would do or even the old plywood you cut out).

It gave me the perfect fit for my 10 1/2 shoes in both brake feel and general comfort. Made a huge difference.

Chris

bumper

On final I swing my heels out of the pan and outboard (so they rest at floor level), that way I can get on the brake as needed but still have the comfort of more leg room during the flight.

Thank you Thomas!

tbienz

That's funny...on final I do exactly the opposite and swing my heels inboard. I find the heel pans a very nice way to change position for your feet during flight so that they don't stay cramped in the same place.