How small of a pond would the Husky t/o from

Tommy2

hi guys, I have no float time in a Husky and was wondering in distance not sec. what it takes to get off the water with Baumann floats. Thanks.

Snowbirdxx

Tommy, too many variables for an answer. Trees or other obstacles around the Lake, altitude, temp, are you circling takeoff proficient?

Tommy2

Hi Thomas, not very proficient at all, never flew a Husky on floats or at all for that matter. I’ve flown C-180, DHC-2 on float only a couple hours a long time ago. Recently a M-7-235 and a 260on Wip 3000 amph. Maybe 25 hours and of course the TwinBee for 30 hours.
I’m kinda looking for a base line, how about a standard day, sealevel , light wind, small ripple on the surface. There is a lake 3800’ long that I want to go into, 60’ trees on both ends at the waters edge. I’m interested in fun flying not a thrill a second ride getting out. Thanks Thomas.

Larson

Hi Thomas, not very proficient at all, never flew a Husky on floats or at all for that matter. I’ve flown C-180, DHC-2 on float only a couple hours a long time ago. Recently a M-7-235 and a 260on Wip 3000 amph. Maybe 25 hours and of course the TwinBee for 30 hours.
I’m kinda looking for a base line, how about a standard day, sealevel , light wind, small ripple on the surface. There is a lake 3800’ long that I want to go into, 60’ trees on both ends at the waters edge. I’m interested in fun flying not a thrill a second ride getting out. Thanks Thomas.

Easily do that...

BlackWater

My PK flight manual says 1658' to clear 50' (with the Hartzell 76"). And I would say the manual is actually very reasonable (and with the MT 1658 would be easy).

Tommy2

I have a Hartzell on it , thank you very much. That give me something to go by, I’ll start with the lake I know and get some experience. I’m comfortable with the thought of 3800’ .

tbienz

Thinking about float flying...but not sure what would work best. Around here, for summer operations, density altitude will be 9000-10,000 feet. If a Husky, do you think a 200hp variant would do substantially better than a 180hp in getting off the water (both would have 20-30% less effective horsepower than at sea level)?
Given an equivalent weight carried in the aircraft (lets say two 180# people, 30 pounds of equipment, and 3 hours of fuel) do you think a 180hp or 200hp Husky will still get off the water substantially faster than, say, an older TU206 or C185 with an IO550 conversion when operated off a lake at 7000 feet MSL and 75-80 degrees OAT?
Also, any idea of the rough cruising speed expected for those three types of planes on amphibious floats?
Thanks for any experience folks on the forum may have.

Last edited:

MTV

I don't know how to insert an image, but I just took a picture of the Baumann float takeoff performance from the Baumann float supplement.

I can send it to someone who knows how to upload a photo.

MTV

MTV

Yes, that would be pretty easy for even a new float pilot in a Husky. Remember that landing is easy and pretty short on floats......takeoff, not so much, but 3800 feet is plenty long at sea level, even with obstacles. I have a picture of the Baumann float supplement page for takeoff performance at varying density altitudes if someone can upload it.

I've forgotten the length of the lake now, but it was very short. I went in there with an early (actually the first production B) B model on Baumann floats when there was a wind blowing. A round lake, not very big, but with wind, no sweat. Then we spent over an hour hiking (long story, ugly conditions) to pick up a radio collar. When we got back, no wind. This lake was small enough I was concerned.

I actually took out the Float Supplement, and referenced the takeoff distance data. We had a laser rangefinder, which I used to measure the lake. the trees were fairly short.....30 feet. The distance in the FM Supplement for conditions was about fifty feet less than what we had, but we were also about 150 pounds below GW. We heeled the floats up on one shoreline, climbed in, which stuck the plane pretty good....mud bottom. That allowed me to warm up the engine, and go to almost max power before the plane started to slide.

We cleared the trees by a good 75 tpo100 feet.

Husky is an amazing seaplane.

MTV

MTV

Also, I've operated out of a 2200 foot bank to bank pond regularly, and even with loads and glassy water, never used more than half of it.

MTV

airplanebrad

1500'' maybe a 1000'' but my experience is with my 200hp on amphibs. It jumps off the water especially light, choppy water and headwind. 500'' and its airborne id guess. Thats with half tanks.

Floyd

If there is room get a run at it going downwind and if possible get up in the step and turn into the wind then pull on the flaps and you are gone. Practice on a large body of water and just see how tight of a circle you can make. It’s all about practice. I have a a 180 hp supercub on Baumann amphibs and practiced in a pond that was 1/2 mile long. I would use only half of it with little wind when I was just starting from an idle. I took training in a 180 hp Husky in Florida and 95 was about cruise speed.