Husky Accident in northern Italy

Meadowlark

How come they kept referring to a Piper PA-18?

Sorry to say that I am so ill educated that I could not read the article, but it appeared from the photos to be a stall/spin scenario......?

J/C GTF

Snowbirdxx

The guy / gal who wrote the article is an idiot.
It looks as if the pilot can leave the hospital tomorrow. I ll keep you updated what happened.

groshel

Via Google translation....

LOMASO / DRO - A few minutes before 14 the festive day, the exchange of the operational center of "Trentino Emergency 118" has been asked by many users, who had seen dropping a light aircraft on the summit of Mount Casale. At about 300 meters from the shelter SAT "Uncle Don Pisoni", a Piper PA-18 model was precipitated on the snowy ground, not after hitting some high trees. Not knowing how many people were on board, the operations center immediately sent in place of the two rescue helicopters provincial health, as well as a third aircraft at rotating blade for transport in proportion of the staff of the permanent body of the fire of Trento (SAF group), along with a few teams of volunteer firefighters Body Dro, and equipment (hydraulic clamp) to extricate any injured remained trapped between the twisted metal. Fortunately on board the small areo there was only one person, then admitted to the hospital S.Chiara in conditions deemed of medium severity. Aircraft conducted by Merano Hulrich Ladurner, owner of Dr. Schar, world leader in gluten-free food, 66, started from Bolzano Airport for a flight over Lake Garda and the mountains of the Valley of the Lakes, by plane acronym G-HUND. For reasons still unknown, however, come close to the summit of Monte Casale, at an altitude of 1655, the area lost altitude impacting violently to the ground. In addition to the firefighters of Trento and Dro, was also attended by the volunteers of Lomaso (to a few tens of meters, the aircraft crashed in their administrative territory), which after many difficulties, the high layer of snow at altitude, are arrived at altitude, on means-terrain along the trail from the western slope of the mountain, starting from Komanos Terme. On the spot even the police station Dro with the Lieutenant Vasco Degasperi, while in the sports field of Pietramurata was prepared a base of logistical support, coordinated by the Fire Chief of Dro Titian Flessati.

J/C's response per Google translations:

"Josh is the utilized guy who decide of our the service Google, for the translation of article from the Doctor who created the lunacy and is the responsible one who makes the bread fall apart with no Bread Glue and children run and hide from the airplane he owns, but was not flying in the place in Italy noone knows but Italians, where a pilot and some kind of plane crashed somehow.

It crashed and J/C is helped by his reading of Google inspiration in his life, but Google are not friendly....J/C says "Grrrrr" to Google. Josh Good. "

end translation.

Steve.

Snowbirdxx

As a result of Ulis accident, I will get a SPOT and have all my flight monitored by a friend. I have no interest of spending the night, like Uli did.

joemcd

Thomas,

While a spot will do the trick, look into the Delorme Inreach. There is lots of info out there so I won't hijack the thread, but I think you might like the capabilities of the Delorme better. Very worthwhile for the flying you do.

Joe

bumper

I second strong vote for the InReach over Spot.

Spot came out first, using Global Star. One way com, you can yell for help but you won't know if it got through. In our case, using them for glider tracking and expecting a position report every 10 minutes, we would often have gaps of 30 or more minutes with not a peep. Also no altitude on the position reports.

InReach fixed all that. Using the much more reliable Iridium network, which unlike Global Star is reliable anywhere in the world, the InReach is two-way. If it doesn't get through, it knows and repeats the transmission until it's acknowledged. It allows two way texting or you can send to an email. If you SOS, the authorities can contact you back or, if able, you can text them particulars etc.

bumper

Snowbirdxx

Brocki,

it looks as if he landed on snow on Mt Casale. LAnding is uphill, takeoff downhill after a 180° turn.
If the turn is only 170° the takoff run comes very close to trees.

He hit several trees until coming to a stop. I just talked to him right now he is doing fine.