Husky Sight Gauge

Larson

Just a question on the fuel calibration method ...

If you were to pull the fuel sump plug at the firewall and drain the fuel tanks, would this be the total usable fuel in the aircraft?
I know the manual states an unusable amount, but surely if you can sump it at firewall, you can burn it?

Just thinking of this for fuel cal....

Greg

Just a question on the fuel calibration method ...

If you were to pull the fuel sump plug at the firewall and drain the fuel tanks, would this be the total usable fuel in the aircraft?
I know the manual states an unusable amount, but surely if you can sump it at firewall, you can burn it?

Just thinking of this for fuel cal....

I would that is technically correct. However impracticable. As you shouldn’t be that low on fuel ever!

FlyingDog

View attachment 3596 Howdy,

Looking for some feed back. I have designed a LED lit site gauge with dual scales tail down and cruise flight.
The unit fits directly over your existing site tubes no modifications needed. Mounting maybe via power lock strips, or screws. I am not sure what is hidden behind the panel for screws. Power lock (extreme velcro) used to hold windshields in place seems to be a great option.

For you that are concerned about weight. It weighs in at .118 lbs, and you can remove your rear facing light posts. LED is 12 volt direct connection to power and ground. Wires can be run behind the panel and can connect to your removed post lighting.

Don't be shy let it rip, really want your feedback good bad and ugly.

Greg
Husky A1 1994
Greg, did you produce any more of these?

Snowbirdxx

Gregs idea of lighting the fueltubes is brilliant. However the indication is only good on the ground or in calm air. Unless a restrictor is installed as mentioned by me before here. My indications are rocksteady, even in turbulent air.

A few words on unusable fuel. FAR 23 certified aircraft are tested with a 15° sideslip and the tanks switched on the most critical tank for this flight condition. On a Super cub with a fuel selector for each tank and the slip being flown left wing low, the left tank would be selected. On the Husky prototype such a selector was installed. As soon as the engine starts coughing, the right tank was selected and after landing the fuel remaining in the LH tank was measured. 3 times for each side.
The average remaining measured fuel was determined the UNUSABLE FUEL .

On the Husky the tanks will empty till the last pint, when flown coordinated. So keep in mind that in case of fuel starvation, rock your wings, watch the sighttubes. and if you see fuel, put that wing up 5-10 degrees. The engine will start again, but not for very long.

If your engine quits after running lean the last few seconds, and you see fuel in the sighttubes, the tankvents are blocked. Open the sliding window, stick the draincup into the LH drain and vent the tank through there. Engine will start immediatly. Tank needs to be vented every 2 min and when entering the pattern. Been there, done that, worked fine.

Last edited:

TheFlyingMouse

Neat!

What about a single-row version that sticks on above the existing sight tube for those less inclined to disassembly? Would beat the heck out of dealing with a fuel stick on the ground.

Other thoughts:
- Numbers on markers too small.
- Perpendicular arrows vs. ”level slanted” fuel level in the sight gauges might require concentration to correctly interpret under stress. The factory lines are parallel with “level” fuel line in flight, so easy to read.
- Matching color scales top and bottom may make it hard to remember which scale is for cruise and which is for ground. Need some wording, or maybe different shapes. A uniform color for each mode might be easier.
- Instead of E for “empty”, I would want to slide it up the scale more for “reserve”. Eg, below that, I know I must divert or add fuel. Knowing the difference between 5 gallons and empty is less meaningful. You’ve done similar for high end already by capping out at 20.
- How do the colors and lettering look under red headlamp at night?