If I could fly

Scott Musser

Administrator
Staff member
Mounted my GoPro Video camera on the suncreen and went for a short flight. The prop creates some weird artifacts, so am going to mount it outboard on a wing and try it. Still fun.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvpMs_cOEN8[/ame]

Ageless Stranger

Scott,
What are those "Tie-Down Rings" coming out the top of the airframe? Are those for lifting the whole airframe? Seems like I saw an ad for a Husky that said it had lifting rings. My question is, why would you want to lift the whole airframe?

Scott Musser

Administrator
Staff member
The camera does not have a remote on/off. You set it and fly. I can record hours though...so no problem.

bumper

The lifting rings also come in handy when the Husky is stored in a larger hangar. I can hoist the Husky up out of the way to get my glider or other aircraft in or out . . . no need to shuffle airplanes around and helps minimize the risk of hangar rash.

As an aside, it also makes cleaning the belly a relatively easy, though still unwelcome chore:mad:

Ageless Stranger

Re: Lifting Rings.

Does it balance when lifted by those two rings alone, or is there, (as I suspect) a third ring on the tail end somewhere?

Larson

The Husky balances fine on these two rings.
However we must always use a spreader bar to lift the husky by these rings. If a spreader bar is not used, major damage will occur!

Ageless Stranger

Lars,
Do you have a picture of the spreader bar? Sorry to sidetrack this so far, I've just never seen an airplane designed to be picked up on a (semi)routine basis.
Thanks,
AS

bumper

Lars,
Do you have a picture of the spreader bar? Sorry to sidetrack this so far, I've just never seen an airplane designed to be picked up on a (semi)routine basis.
Thanks,
AS

The spreader bar can be as simple as a length of threaded rod (5/8" with conduit or other steel tubing over center part or 3/4" bare will do). The threaded rod is has double nuts/washers on each end to fix the chain in place so as to form a triangle.

Depending on fuel level, there can be a substantial amount of weight on the tail so it would hang down when lifting the front by the rings. I use a seperate, smaller hoist on the tail and a padded hook that clips onto the glider tow hook strut.

Don't have pictures handy.

Larson

AS
Don't have any pictures handy. As bumper said, its just a piece of steel, the same lentgh as the distance between the two lifting eyes. As the aircraft is lifted, using chain attached to the lifting hooks, this spreader bar prevents the chain pulling the two lifting hooks together. Without this piece of steel, the fuselage would be damaged between the lifting eyes.
Sorry I haven't got a picture, i'll take one on the next lift!
Lars.

fliegenhund

Enjoyed the video, interesting-looking sky and nice tune. Nice demo of Husky's abilities with landing and turn-off at the numbers...airports have so much wasted real estate when you have a Husky.

I like the camera position on the skylight, and looks like the suction cup mount worked fine up there. Jury strut location won't eliminate the prop blades; they just won't be in the center of the frame. Looks like you shot in Mode 5 (Full HD) and were able to upload to youtube at good quality.

Chris