Landing A-1B with new wing advice

DavePA11

Transitioning from PA-11 to Husky, and have only few hours flying the Husky since I bought it. Finding the landings are consistently okay/good now, but have to keep a bit of power until near touch down.

In the PA-11 I would pull power to idle just after mid field or abeam numbers and slip down Since no flaps. Very rarely used any power. With full flaps and idle the Husky seems to drop very fast and I tend tend to bounce it. What is the best method for landing the Husky?

I’m in Colorado now and runways are very long with no obstructions which is different than what I am use to in New England with very short runways and tall trees at both ends. Had to slip aggressively in the PA-11 to land in home airport, so still getting use to using flaps in the Husky.

My first Cub was a J3 and the engine would sometimes stop if I pulled idle so I got in habit of always making sure I could land without power since it didn’t have a starter. Of course I don’t have this issue with the Husky nor with the PA-11.

Found out the Husky brakes work great, and have to be careful with those since could stomp on the stock PA-11 like a gorilla and they won’t do much... The tail will come up on the Husky if apply the brakes too much.

Thanks!

Snowbirdxx

Transitioning from PA-11 to Husky, and have only few hours flying the Husky since I bought it. Finding the landings are consistently okay/good now, but have to keep a bit of power until near touch down.

Well analysed

In the PA-11 I would pull power to idle just after mid field or abeam numbers and slip down Since no flaps. Very rarely used any power. With full flaps and idle the Husky seems to drop very fast and I tend tend to bounce it. What is the best method for landing the Husky?

See above or approach at 65 or above with 20 flaps. Then you are on the RH side of the power curve and have anough energy for the roundout.

I’m in Colorado now and runways are very long with no obstructions which is different than what I am use to in New England with very short runways and tall trees at both ends. Had to slip aggressively in the PA-11 to land in home airport, so still getting use to using flaps in the Husky.

My first Cub was a J3 and the engine would sometimes stop if I pulled idle so I got in habit of always making sure I could land without power since it didn’t have a starter. Of course I don’t have this issue with the Husky nor with the PA-11.

Found out the Husky brakes work great, and have to be careful with those since could stomp on the stock PA-11 like a gorilla and they won’t do much... The tail will come up on the Husky if apply the brakes too much.

MAke sure your brake pedals are adjusted in a way that they to not stand back too muck.

Consider installing the Soft Gear Stop mod SGS on the gear. Then the landings are less prone to end up in a cangaroo type of getting dorwn the runway.

Thanks!

Proteus

Carrying a little bit of power can really help elevator authority as you've noticed. It's good to have a few different approach styles to use as conditions require. I tend to generally use about a 60mph approach, then tail low wheel it on which is quite flexible and gives you really good visibility if there may be obstacles about.

The husky also slips well, so another handy tool if you need drop down quickly.

Get out have fun.

FLHusky

Dave: I try to utilize a stabilized approach all of the time. Once I have identified my arrival point on the ground, adjustments are mostly by power not stick.

If you have the MT prop, it acts like a speed brake and you can set up a fairly steep decent rate / angle - adding just enough power at arrival to arrest the decent. I find this puts me in a great position to utilize wheel, tail low or three point landing. Sometimes the Husky seems to decide on it own which of those three it likes best

DavePA11

Thanks for all the replies.

I did 6 landings on Saturday, and checked airspeed on final near the runway and was around 60mph with a bit of power so assume when I pull power to flare it will be lower. Been trying for 75mph abeam numbers then add 10 degrees of flaps, then 70mph on base with 20 degrees of flaps then 65-60 on final with 30 degrees of flaps. Most of the landings are with tail lower or 3 point since haven't done wheel landings yet with the Husky.

I have 80" metal prop, but want to get the MT 2 blade prop sometime this spring. Did wheel landings all the time with PA-11, but had much more time with the PA-11. Controls are much lighter on the PA-11 than Husky.

There is nothing but flat dirt around airport so no obstacles. Much easier without trees! Never realized how flat it was around the east part of Denver. Its like a desert out by 18V. Flying around the mountains is more fun, but performance definitely changes with the higher altitudes getting over some of the peaks here. Picked up the "Mountain, Canyon, and Backcountry Flying" book recently, and find its pretty good.

Last edited:

Alex McCulloch

Dave, I'm based out of EIK and was out at 18V on Saturday morning and did 3 landings. I heard a guy on the Unicom flying a Husky at Easton, was that you?

DavePA11

Alex - That was probably Rusky in his Husky. Dan was up there too in his Carbon Cub FX. Dan is local to 18V and knows a lot of places to go. Maybe fly out sometime this spring and check them out.