Mountain Flying Seminar

Snowbirdxx

We now have a Husky based in LIPB Bolzano ( Northern Italy) with an experienced english speaking Husky Mountain Instructor.
The course is individually tailored to the skills of the applicant. For pilots holding an EASA license, the course and the organisation is approved to train and give checkrides for the MOU rating. The FAA does not require such a rating, but training for those one way strips is a good idea.
The course is different from most mountain flying courses offered in the US, since we only use one way strips to teach landings into steep slopes. As a nice side effect, many of the strips have good restaurants nearby.

MOU rating is required in Europe by EASA to use airstrips in the mountains with a steep slope and no Go around option.

Last edited:

Snowbirdxx

Here some vids to give you an impression about the area, enjoy!

not Husky related

Many more strips, but unfortunally Darren did not make any vids.

brianP

I tried to post some videos here but gave up in frustration, is there a thread that covers how to do that ?

Snowbirdxx

The Husky performed very well again this weekend. Twice crossing the Alps in beautiful weather, almost no wind. The mountain flying seminar in Bolzano had 3 students ready for the MOU checkride- wheels. They all passed and each did 6 landings on stips with no Go around option and runways with more than 15% slope. For 2 the 3 students this seminar was the first Husky experience one had flitetime in the Husky on Amphibs in Fidschi! They all love the plane now. Congrats!

Snowbirdxx

The course is available to anybody holding at least a private license and a minimum of 300 hrs PIC time. However if you do not hold an EASA license, you will get a Course completion certificate, but no MOU license entry in the FAA license. Due to the excellent food a weight gain may come with a 4 day stay in Bolzano.
Tim Clifford ( Flhusky) has been here a couple of years ago, flew the Dolomites, but did not land on all the Altiports. 60,% of the students for the MOU are ATP rated Aviators, using this course to round up their flying skills. If anybody is seriously interested the best season is spring o, and I summer or fall and I can fwd the contact to the chief instructor.

Last edited:

Kent Wien

I wouldn’t need the EASA add-on certification. The training, amazing flying and beautiful scenery would be enough.

I have ‘kinda’ spent 10 days flying the Dolomites back in 2013:

BC58219E-0113-4D44-B136-9DFC896DBBEF.jpeg

It just may be the most beautiful place in the world.

When my girlfriend and I are ready, we will let you know.

Proteus

I'm in the UK and would be interested in getting the mou rating on my licence. How often are they run and how long do they need? I've a friend with a Maule who got his rating I think down in annecy, but he's fluent in french.

Snowbirdxx

It all depends on your skills. We.had guys ready after 4 hrs and others needed 15. Our instructor Nunzio is fluent in English. There are no mass courses only individual training. I ll send you his contact data as a pm it lool at the Aeroclubs website www.aeroclub.bz