My new Back Country Strip in Southern Colorado

Mountainpilot

At 8,900 feet MSL high above Rock Creek (That is south of Del Norte - KRCV) I finally completed this little back country landing strip on my mountain property. That was lots of Rocks to move! With 940 feet a piece o' cake for a Husky. Want Rocks? - Come and get them!

I uploaded a few nice Videos on YouTube:

On top to Del Norte:

Rio Grande River Del Norte to Monte Vista

First Landing On Top

Husky-on-top1 small.jpg

Mountainpilot

Hi Thomas! Yes, I do have the SGS kit installed. - Of course! But I never paid you for it. Back in 2016 I send you a check and it never went off my account so I am guessing I still owe you for that one...

I still got 200 feet of rocks to pick but now I can fly up there at least. That is 7 minutes of fun, compared to 50 minutes of bouncing.

Everybody is welcome up there. Just let me know when you are in the area. I got a camping table up there under a pinion tree.

Here is another view looking east over the beautiful San Luis Valley. A little hazy because of the 2 fires North of Durango.

Husky-on-top5 small.jpg

Ak Kurt

Wow, very cool, thank you for the invite, if I lived a bit closer I would be right over.

Kurt

flyingjack

Hello Mountainpilot, been landing at buddy's place in South Park, elev 8300 and using about 500' for takeoff (approx 100' elev change). We're in McCall and NW area for next 4-6 weeks. When we get back to KEIK I'll contact you. Looks like a cool place. Have spent quite a bit of time around Creede.
Jack

Mountainpilot

Hello Mountainpilot, been landing at buddy's place in South Park, elev 8300 and using about 500' for takeoff (approx 100' elev change). We're in McCall and NW area for next 4-6 weeks. When we get back to KEIK I'll contact you. Looks like a cool place. Have spent quite a bit of time around Creede.
Jack

Yes, let me know when you get here. A few nice places to go in the area like a nice BLM strip at 9600 feet and a fly in hot spring swimming pool with restaurant. You can tie down at my place and I will arrange for a BBQ in my hangar. Also have a ranch truck that I can borrow if you wish to stay overnight in a hotel in town. email me at tom@precifab.com

tbienz

Mountainpilot,
Nice video. I’m about an hour or so north of you with a strip at my place (Rock And A Hard Place) about 7nm east of KLAR. It’s on sectional. 1000 feet at 7600MSL, not very smooth grass, but 31’s smooth it out! You and other Dog pilots are welcome to swing by. I’ve been looking for a way to land at some of the hot springs down your way, which one did you find allows it?
—Thomas

Mountainpilot

Mountainpilot,
Nice video. I’m about an hour or so north of you with a strip at my place (Rock And A Hard Place) about 7nm east of KLAR. It’s on sectional. 1000 feet at 7600MSL, not very smooth grass, but 31’s smooth it out! You and other Dog pilots are welcome to swing by. I’ve been looking for a way to land at some of the hot springs down your way, which one did you find allows it?
—Thomas

Hi Thomas

I'll come and visit when I am in the area!

The hot springs place you mean is the Hooper pool. They have a nice strip and good food as well. Great Hamburgers. Just a few miles West of the Great Sand Dunes. The strip is not on the sectional but it is NE of the little town of Hooper.

Here is a picture with Tom from Del Norte arriving in his Super Cub.

Hooper-small.JPG