N460jc a-1b

dankozak

Sold my PA-18 and ended up with an A-1B, just brought it back to ABQ, NM from Chicago area and will be taking it back to AK in a few months. Love the big fuel tanks, big flaps, and the extra interior space. Need to finish the engine break-in then will try to start working it out a little in Utah and Colorado.

Attachments

• A1B.jpg
    A1B.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 114

joemcd

Wow that plane looks better with the big tires. That poor bird got off to a tough start--have fun in it! I am just 50 miles north of where you bought your plane. I would have gone after it if I needed another Husky.

Joe

dankozak

SGS goes in this week. Thanks again for the quick shipping.

Love the prop clearance on the 35's, I'm tall and have no issues seeing over the nose, much similar to the cub with forward visibility. More headroom and cabin width which is a huge plus, but lost a lot of cargo space. Still trying to figure out how to solve that one. Homemade aluminum cargo box maybe, possibly the cargo bag set-up and the airglas pod. These things add up with weight, trying to keep it light already at 1,378lb on 35's and TAS 105 at higher power settings. I did fit a bicycle inside with the rear sear folded forward, just trying to figure out how to carry the 188cm skis, can't strap em to the strut around these parts.

Snowbirdxx

Seens like the vernatherm js the culprit. To load skis you need to cut the top rear panel open. Ill post a pic tomorrow.

Snowbirdxx

Heres a pic of the ski load door. There is a detachable door to close it, whith camlock fasteners.

Attachments

• Skiloaddoropn.JPG
    Skiloaddoropn.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 86

dankozak

This ski door is brilliant. WELL DONE! Do you have the aluminum cargo box installed as well?

Thanks for the pictures!

Snowbirdxx

I do not have that aluminum box installed. I put in 1992 a wooden shelf in that has a forward folding backdoor. For ski transport the door folds forward and allows the skitips to enter the rear fuselage. At that time Aviat saw no need in a rear cargo box. My wooden board has several cutouts where plastic contained are entered. I use then for spares, oil, and tools.
Another good option os to mount a military bag on the back where the skitips enter.

I once did a window in a friends Aluminum box. Remove the fwd panel, drill pilot holes for the cutout from the front. Then cut the box bulkhead with a vibrating saw. Cover edges of the box window with a U type protection rubber.

Meadowlark

I have the factory cargo compartment. Pictures somewhere.... Too many pictures and no cataloging system..... Sorry.

J/C GTF