Parasoir

David

Husky at Parasoir in the Beaujolais hills, france .40% slope just before parking. 630 ft long. 2000ft MSL.
Famous for the wines and the Charolais Steaks. Nice restaurant on top of the parking. For more info google Relais du parasoir View attachment 3643 View attachment 3643
Great photo Tom,

Taking off would be easy. I have never landed on anything that steep. How would you advise doing that? It seems that you would land in a climb? How do you work up to some thing like that or do you just do it?
What are the two planes next to the Husky?
David

Snowbirdxx

David,
To land at parasoir you need the MOU rating in your license.MOU stands for mountain. Its a special course with checkride. 44% slope is pretty steep. No go around ootions on most altiports. So you better know what you are doing.
The two planes are D140 mousqetairs. Wood construction. 4 /5 place 180 hp lyc. Fixed pitch. Empty weight around 1200 lbs .Max to 2600 lbs. They fly nice.

David

David,
To land at parasoir you need the MOU rating in your license.MOU stands for mountain. Its a special course with checkride. 44% slope is pretty steep. No go around ootions on most altiports. So you better know what you are doing.
The two planes are D140 mousqetairs. Wood construction. 4 /5 place 180 hp lyc. Fixed pitch. Empty weight around 1200 lbs .Max to 2600 lbs. They fly nice.
Tom,
Unless I am wrong, which I am quite often, I do not believe we have any such rating here in the USA. I have taken mountain flying training and back country training, but I think the steepest strip we ever landed on was less than 8% slope. I do not think I know of any back country strip that is greater than 15%. I would like to get checked out on steep strips. Anybody on the forum know of any strips like the one Tom showed us? Has anyone other than Tom landed at one that steep? Now that I know that you can, I have a ranch that would be a perfect candidate for bulldozing in a strip like that, and it is at 2000 msl. I just don't think I would be brave enough to try without training.
Tom, are there lots of strips like that in Europe? I will have to research more info on the D140s. I have never heard of them.
Thanks Tom,
David

Last edited:

tbienz

It’s weird what camera angles do in photography. I would never have guessed that that strip is really 44%...that’s wild. It looks about the same as Mile Hi (about 20-30%) or perhaps even less steep. It must look like you are flying at a wall when landing! I’ve had the same thing happen in backcountry skiing when I photograph a nasty coloir that I’ve just skied and the photos make it look like a flat meadow.

Snowbirdxx

Strockl.jpg

Thomas is right the camera makes the slope less dramatic than it is.
If you have been to a mountain flying course without landing on more than 10% slope, its like having a steak dinner and you ate the salad and were only allowed to sniff the taste of the steaks.
We have quiet a bit of sloped strips in the Alps. Unlike in Idaho, where the majority in under 10% they have no go around options. I have landed in Mile High, which I found very easy due to the length and possible overshoot etc. It would be used as a beginner field for the MOU rating.
My favourite in the Alps was Lac Furchu. Unfortunately our environmentalist friends closed it. Located in about 8500ft, up to 60% slope and 480 ft long. Parking space for 3.
Pic below.
The general procedure for landing on these strips is: Low pass over the parking area. Set the altimeter to a even number so its easy to be remembered. Do not descend below. When on final, make sure you are level and just above parking-altitude. When on short final, about a bit more than runway length start the descend into your Aiming point, which is 20 yards before the desired touch down point. Note descending through parking alt with final speed. Ignore the wall in front of you. At aiming point, raise the nose and add power if required to bring the plane in a parallel to runway attitude, but not higher than 3 ft. After touchdown and gaining directional control add power ( sometimes full power req) to reach parking. As soon as on parking cut power. Since MOU is a 1 week course its hard to summarize in one chapter.

Here is Lac Furchu there might be some vids on youtube.

Today going to St Roc Mayer with new tailspring. Pic above. Not very steep 20% but rough and excellent food and wine.

Campingkl.jpg

Last edited:

dogday

My mind visually jumps to the wrong conclusions and exaggerations when reading percent slope until I change percent slope to degrees. A 40% slope is 22 degrees. With published Vx of 67 mph, a Husky would need to climb at 1300 feet per minute to maintain a constant separation above a 40% slope runway. Add on a hot day or altitude and a 40% slope landing is nothing to be taken lightly.

tbienz

True enough, no room for error, however, most of these transitions would be done from level flight or even slightly descending flight with a power-on transition to uphill landing requiring only a few seconds in the climb. A Husky can easily manage well more than 1300fpm for a short time as speed is traded for altitude and the ground comes up to meet the plane.

David

Thanks Tom for the very brief, but concise, mountain landing course. I had absolutely no problem at Mile-Hi. Of course I just flew low over it and went "No way I am landing there!" I definitely like to have a great Husky instructor (who has lots of Husky time) in the back of my plane to teach me safely. I am sure someone out there knows someone I could use.
Still very interested in purchasing one of your tail springs.
David