Plane and Pilot Magazine Article

mvivion

There's an e-article about the new Husky on the Plane and Pilot Magazine website: http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/

Click on the aircraft tab at the bottom of the image in center screen.

Good article, though there are a few errors...like the first Husky wasn't the A-1A, and I'd sure like to meet the 200 horse Husky C model with a Garmin 600 panel that weighs 1320 pounds!!! Good grief! That is the "propaganda" number, of course, but that doesn't mean that an author can't post the ACTUAL weight of an airplane they flight test.

Assuming he actually looked, that is..;)

Otherwise, not bad.

Mike

Planes77ca

Thanks Mike, Seems the heater worked well on this aircraft, althought they didn't mention the OAT.
Saw one of the pictures on the dealers web site. Maybe a fellow should take a set of scales when you do the pre purchase?

mvivion

Nope, all you have to do is to READ the weight and balance of the airplane prior to flight. Writers have a habit of quoting the "Average Empty Weight" or some such, as provided by the manufacturer, which is nearly ALWAYS lighter than an equipped airplane. That way, the writer can honestly state ascribe the figures to the manufacturer, and it'll make the airplane look good.

I suspect that most 200 hp Huskys are going to weigh somewhere north of 1400 empty. But, maybe not.

Take a look at a Piper Meridian sometime, and do the math there for a six seat airplane. Put gas (as in ANY gas) in one of those, particularly the early ones, and they become a two seat, or in some cases, a single seat turbine airplane. But writers for magazines may not get invited back for future test flights if they cite unfavorable figures.

Mike

The super light 200 we built up, on Bushwheels, is 1,380 something with the small battery on the firewall, dope fabric treatment, and every other trick we could manage -- so I think Mike's estimate of the average 200 being over 1400 pounds is right.

Planes77ca

Thanks Mike and George, for your comments, someone with a regular 200hp might let us know what the empty weight is. George, is there much difference in the performance between the 180hp and the 200hp? Worth the extra $ and weight increase?