Political Content

Scott Musser

Administrator
Staff member
Guys and Gals.

I love a good political debate as much or more than the next person. That being said, I've seen the division that hosting political content can wreak on a forum group such as FlyHusky. So in the spirit of supporting great Husky conversation, I'm not going to allow any content with a political flair, no matter what the angle.

tbienz

Scott, while I agree in principle with your interest in maintaining civil discourse so as to minimize internal strife among forum members, defining “political content” for selective censorship can become challenging. This has been discovered recently by the content manipulation seen with Twitter and Facebook.
I have no control over what you do and how you do it, but selective censorship “for the good of the group” is a slippery slope best not trodden.
We are all adults here and we can make our own decisions about the relative merit of another member’s comments. Free speech should remain just that.

Gust Kalatzes

Scott, while I agree in principle with your interest in maintaining civil discourse so as to minimize internal strife among forum members, defining “political content” for selective censorship can become challenging. This has been discovered recently by the content manipulation seen with Twitter and Facebook.
I have no control over what you do and how you do it, but selective censorship “for the good of the group” is a slippery slope best not trodden.
We are all adults here and we can make our own decisions about the relative merit of another member’s comments. Free speech should remain just that.
I agree completely Thomas! I’ve been on this list since the late 90’s and a politically slanted post is not the only irrelevant post that pops up on occasion!

The members of this group have always been able to quickly return to the groups main focus through self correction. This is a very slippery slope and respect, both in post and response, is required!

Gust

Proteus

Merry Christmas all, I'm on board with keeping things aircraft focused, however I do also really see the dangers of controling speech and self censorship.

There does seem to be a battle everywhere between freedom, liberty and authority.

I have just read an article on one of our national newspapers (UK) website complaining about two low flying aircraft and how dangerous they are and the caa should do something about it and asking for more tip offs. From the video it looked like a couple of kitfoxes flying down over an estuary at 10 feet or so plenty distant from any person structure of vessel. I don't think they will be prosecuted, but it's possible the CAA will try something because the mob is demanding action.

With the freedom flying gives and how lucky we are to be able to enjoy it I suspect we will become a target more and more, especially as flying off field does have a higher risk profile than 2 miles of tar.

Paul Collins

I always thought being a pilot pretty much removed your ability to understand a political debate. That is what is so great about this site, I don't have to think! Just fly!!
Thanks, and let's stay off the slippery political slope.
Merry Christmas to everyone as well!!
Paul Collins
N337DP

p.s. Welcome to Idaho;
Saturday
Snow. High near 32. West southwest wind 3 to 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Snowbirdxx

First of all merry x mas to all of you and I hope after these days we do not need a gross weight increase to fly our Huskys. I have been on this forum since the beginning and before on the Huskylist since it existed. Both fori had been exceptionally compared to other aviation fori, where the style is much less friendly and polite. I hope it stays that way. It seemed to drift off a bit with some new members being a bit more rude and unrespectful about a year ago, but we seem to be on track again. I quit my membership on some other fori due to the rude and totally unrespectful style.
F.E. I asked in an Aviation forum if there is knowledge how to fly a PC12 into a 1200 ft strip with no go around option. OMG that raised hell explaining me that this is more difficult and dangerous than a landing on Jupitern mooons. A week later I posted the vid how to do it and only got yelled at. Well, simple fix, leave them alone!

I believe what Scott meant with his post is that we should not have extensive non aviation related political discussions here. A good idea, there are many other fori where political opinions may be posted.
Now not all aviation related posts an be completely politcs free. For example if I post that the AVGAS here is 14$ a gallon, we cant fly at night or we have to pay ATC user fees. Is that political? These remedies are caused by our politicians in Europe, but the sad thing is, regardless which party is in the government, nobody will give us our freedom again or reduce aviation related taxes.

BTW is fori the american plural of forum or do you guys slaughter that latin language and go for forums?

Fly safe to all of you!

TomD

bumper

Hi Tom! Yeah, I can confirm, having been forced to take two years of Latin in a private High School, that what passes for English in America is slaughtered deader than a doornail, (whatever that means).

And if there was a vote, mine would be to let the group gently discourage purely political discussion, but no official censoring of occasional comment. We're friends, walking on eggshells is not conducive to that or open discourse.

David

I have to agree that I prefer the group self censoring. I have to admit that I have never met a more knowledgeable group of people; and ones who are willing to freely share their knowledge. A more honest forum/internet group does not exist, to my knowledge. I have purchased several items from members, who have never met me, and they have shipped the item before they ever received my money. Those few on this site, whom I have met personally are extremely friendly, knowledgeable, and would make great friends. Lets keep up this tradition.
David