Scott Tailwheel Loose Against Leaf Springs

hallwaypd

Changing the tailwheel tire for the first time today since buying my A-1B after its annual at Aviat. I noticed there was quite a bit of play in the Scott assembly where it was mounted to the leaf springs. I don’t have any shimmy in the tailwheel and haven’t noticed any other issues. However, my guess is there shouldn’t be this much play. Any suggestions?

Snowbirdxx

No Play allowed. However IT should BE checked during every preflight by pushing the vertikal stab Sideways, watching the attachment. If Not an area washer is used in the leafspring Side, Play May Happen after one landing.

groshel

I had a “u” shaped aluminum insert between my Scott casting and the leaf spring. Maybe that’s missing. I can’t remember if that came as part of the ABW three leaf spring that I went to from the OEM one.. I still had a little looseness..but nothing like that video.

I used thin brass shim…maybe .005” to fill the gap between the spring and the casting.

DogLip

Definitely tighten this up by whatever means necessary!!! The bolt can break and cause lots of damage!

-Doglip