Skis

bfarm

I have a 1AC-200 with 31 inch tires. What are the best skis to get? How do the big tires handle snow.

tbienz

I have landed in snow about 6” deep with the 31’s. But you must KNOW how deep irnos for that to be safe or you may end up on your nose.
I have RF8001’s and they work very well in the deep powder we get around here in Wyoming and Colorado.

wldwzl01

I would be very hesitant to land on more than 3-4" of dry snow with 31's. The price for misjudgment is just too high. Ski choice is dependent on your mission, budget, and your current (or future gear length) . You want adequate prop clearance in a level flight attitude ( I believe 9") so whatever skis you choose should provide this clearance. If not, then 3" extended gear may be required. My Husky experience is with Aero 3000 straight skis with Burl's AOSS and 3" extended cub gear. They work well in most ski conditions in interior AK. If budget isn't a problem, then hydraulic wheel skis (RF-8001s, Airglas, or C-2200s) may be the right answer. These also will help if constantly moving in and out of a hangar, although a good set of dollies alleviates this problem on straight skis. I would avoid wheel penetration skis because of lack of surface area for deep snow and the propensity to build up heavy wet snow/slush on top the ski.

GreggMotonaga

For straight skis, I can recommend the Aero 3000s. I currently have the Airglas GLH3000s. They are a compromise, but i really like being able to operate later into the season and landing with wheels on pavement.

pap

I have a 1AC-200 with 31 inch tires. What are the best skis to get? How do the big tires handle snow.
I have a pair of 3000 aero like news rit for my A1-B and dolly for sale 3000.00 $ but it is in Quebec city

sandbilly

I have a pair of 3000 aero like news rit for my A1-B and dolly for sale 3000.00 $ but it is in Quebec city
I would be interested in these skiis and dolly for my 1988 A -1. we could discuss freight , compatibility, and exchange rate.308-546-2646, Nebraska