Starlink + Husky

rnorty

It may be sacrilegious to bring internet to the back country, but I can't fly during the week without being near a phone, so my next best solution! Solar panel, a battery, my husky, and some love from Elon.

Attachments

• IMG_4996.jpeg
    IMG_4996.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 58

Paul Collins

So, how did you get this? Could you estimate weight, size, fit, costs, and what Elon told you ( not really!)?
We are looking at perhaps changing from Hughes to Starlink.
Thanks,
Paul Collins
N337DP

rnorty

So, how did you get this? Could you estimate weight, size, fit, costs, and what Elon told you ( not really!)?
We are looking at perhaps changing from Hughes to Starlink.
Thanks,
Paul Collins
N337DP
You can sign up for the "mobile" version, or punch in a address, lat/long, and likely in remote areas get service right away. The equipment takes a week or two to show up. Congested places (say Treasure Valley) are on a wait list, some of up to 1-2 years. The speeds are way better than HughesNet, and very low latency.

I'll bring my unit next week to show you! I pack it in the original box and put it in my back seat, I don't think it weighs more than 9 lbs. There's really no "install", you just plug it in, wait a minute or two, and it takes care of everything, including orientating the antenna.

Attachments

• IMG_4985.jpeg
    IMG_4985.jpeg
    25.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5011.jpeg
    IMG_5011.jpeg
    311.8 KB · Views: 37

jkalus

Is $99 the lowest rate? I flew with a guy that said he had it at his home for half that, but I couldn’t find it.

Paul Collins

Thanks for the info and a discussion of the options at the Root Ranch would be greatly appreciated. We have been using Hughes here in Idaho however added a Starlink connection at the Flying B to increase volume and speeds of internet access. The main reason was that the Starlink did not limit bandwidth, but we shall see how it turns out. So far, no complaints. The cost of internet access for the various weather/wewbcam systems has been best with Hughes as we don't use that much data transfer - unless someone steals the password! If they do, they quickly overuse the downloads and slow down the system to a crawl. We look forward to your insight!
Paul Collins
N337DP

rnorty

Is $99 the lowest rate? I flew with a guy that said he had it at his home for half that, but I couldn’t find it.
I have yet to see lower, and in fact they just raised it to $110 a month.

I've been using Starlink at home since August of last year, Video Calls, Zoom, heavy tech user and haven't had any sort of note worthy problem.

Just a few days away!!

Scott Musser

Administrator
Staff member
So with the mobile and the black-out areas, does it not work in those areas?

I was at Johnson Creek today and I'm pretty sure they have Starlink, as their service was very good. WiFi phone calls, no problem. Facetime video, no problem. It worked very well.

rnorty

So with the mobile and the black-out areas, does it not work in those areas?

I was at Johnson Creek today and I'm pretty sure they have Starlink, as their service was very good. WiFi phone calls, no problem. Facetime video, no problem. It worked very well.
I'm not sure what you mean by black out areas?

I'd bet they made the switch (RE: Johnson Creek), because last summer when I was there it was pretty poor, granted free wifi who can complain!