STOL DRAG 2018

Greg

High Sierra Flyin STOL Drag 2018

This was a blast, will be there for 2019 for sure. Cub Driver beat me by half a second. Good time had by all.
My best time was 1:44 not even close to being competitive needed to run 1:28 or less to qualify for Saturdays competition. Draco won with a 1:18 ish. Trent Palmer just 5 seconds behind him in Kitfox W/915IS.

392 planes showed up. Great to be around a bunch of Wing Nuts.

Greg

image3.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image4.jpeg

K Borror

Thanks for your update and pics. on HSF STOL Drag. Was there to but didn't compete. To bad we didn't meet up, hopefully next year.

Greg

Thanks for your update and pics. on HSF STOL Drag. Was there to but didn't compete. To bad we didn't meet up, hopefully next year.
Not sure how I missed you, tried my best to make the rounds and meet all the Husky drivers. Wish you would have come out and raced. It was my first go at this. Practiced on Thursday, ran on Friday. In one direction it's rather easy lol, the other can be a tailwind landing which complicates the process. The entire experience was incredible, speaking of the morning and evening fly outs. Campfire was great meeting place. Hope you come next year. Where are you from? I am in Paso Robles CA, plane is still in Carson City with my son. Pretty sure I will get it back when the annual is due! He is having way too much fun with it.

Greg
PS we need more rudder to race, have to do some mods.

K Borror

I'm just south of Red Bluff on our ranch, with a strip of course. Lots of STOL flyers in our area flying the Sacramento River gravel bars and surrounding hills. Did you fly up to the 747 at black Rock? I may have met your son, l believe he said you haven't had the Husky very long . I remember your plane racing and thought it was him. Or it could be I'm really confused. If you ever get up this way give me a call. Kevin 530-624-6564.

Greg

I'm just south of Red Bluff on our ranch, with a strip of course. Lots of STOL flyers in our area flying the Sacramento River gravel bars and surrounding hills. Did you fly up to the 747 at black Rock? I may have met your son, l believe he said you haven't had the Husky very long . I remember your plane racing and thought it was him. Or it could be I'm really confused. If you ever get up this way give me a call. Kevin 530-624-6564.
Did not visit the 747, to be honest I don't see the attraction bunch of weird people at Burning man. We flew to a bunch of spots every morning, let my son do all the flying. Couldn't get him to race, but next year we hope to go head to head. Yes the Husky been in our stable for about a year, I have logged 115 hours in it, my son is at about 20. Great plane, just love it. Although I may move to a Carbon Cub and let my son buy the Husky. Been wanting to fly the Sac River see lots of videos looks like great fun. I will be sure to let you know when we make that trip.. Trying to get my wife on board, there is 160 acres with a strip on it here I am dying to buy. Kids are all out of the house, grand kids in AZ, and son in Nevada. She can't make up her mind on where to go, driving me nuts.

trapper

Need to get together I am based in Grass Valley been flying Huskies for 15 years and am on my second one. I want to get out and explore more

tbienz

How does the race work in this event? I'm trying to figure out how a giant turbine powered plane got first and a tiny little Rotax powered plane got second. I'm assuming it's not just a straight out drag...is it out and back? Some other configuration?

Snowbirdxx

Thomas,
as far as I know its out till passing a finish line, then come to a complete stop on heading , do a 180 back come to a complete stop. Since twice acceleration and deceleration is required, very light planes with a high power engine do well. That Kitfox had the new 915 Turbo Rotax with 150 HP and constant speed prop. Draco had a PT6 with reverse and a intake filter system that allowed him to use reverse in that environment.

K Borror

Thomas
The easiest way to learn about STOL DRAG is YouTube. There are many videos and make sure you see the 2018 finals on Cory Robins video.

Greg

How does the race work in this event? I'm trying to figure out how a giant turbine powered plane got first and a tiny little Rotax powered plane got second. I'm assuming it's not just a straight out drag...is it out and back? Some other configuration?
Sorry for the late reply working too much.

STOL drag 3500' runway White chalk lines at the end of each runway. Another set of chalk lines 10 feet on both sides of the end. If you touch down prior to the 10 foot mark you are DQ, If you touch down within the first and end mark 6 second penalty. If you touch down after the last mark you are DQ. Yes it is down and back, you must land on heading come to a complete stop turn around and run the other direction. First guy to stop wins. In qualifying they are booking your times. On Saturdays event first to stop wins, times are not kept.
So each landing is a spot landing, on Friday qualifying we had some winds which complicate things a lot. Now one landing is a tail wind landing.

Skill required in going from full speed to a complete stop. You will notice the dramatic slips, your trying to do everything you can to slow it down. It truly a blast to do.

Hope that helps.

Greg