Switching Between Floats and Wheels

belloypilot

I’m considering getting a set of amphibs for my A-1B. Probably the PKs but I haven’t done enough research to be sure yet. Can anyone advise how much time/effort/cost/PITA it is to switch between floats and wheels? I’m thinking I may want to make the switch at least a couple times a year. I’m honestly wondering if getting a second Husky wouldn’t be better and just leave the thing on amphibs. Just looking for advice from anyone with experience.

TIA

Mike

wbatz1

I’m considering getting a set of amphibs for my A-1B. Probably the PKs but I haven’t done enough research to be sure yet. Can anyone advise how much time/effort/cost/PITA it is to switch between floats and wheels? I’m thinking I may want to make the switch at least a couple times a year. I’m honestly wondering if getting a second Husky wouldn’t be better and just leave the thing on amphibs. Just looking for advice from anyone with experience.

TIA

Mike
Can you do most of the work, and have an A&P/IA inspect, advise, etc? If not, you are cutting bungees and removing panels every time you switch. For 7K or so, you could put SuperCub hd.ext. Gear on, which would eliminate a lot of hassle,time, and money wasted on bungee issue. If you can justify it, get a second Husky.

Attachments

• C9DFB491-655B-49B9-A7B6-9B1B240B2225.jpeg
    C9DFB491-655B-49B9-A7B6-9B1B240B2225.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 66
  • F5CEC05F-FC7F-4838-A1E8-0BD3ED412F1D.jpeg
    F5CEC05F-FC7F-4838-A1E8-0BD3ED412F1D.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 1177A4E2-FAF6-4561-8C1B-3F1CFC9D6D5F.jpeg
    1177A4E2-FAF6-4561-8C1B-3F1CFC9D6D5F.jpeg
    612.7 KB · Views: 62

Ak Kurt

First install is the most work intensive, after that much easier but unfortunately for the Husky you have to cut and replace bungee's every time. The AOSS gear would make the switch over easier and cheaper in the long run but you have to install/convert to that gear and that takes a bit of doing. John S's step son is well versed on doing this conversion, he is in Anchorage. If you can afford it a second airplane that stays on floats would be the way to go. I like the PK floats from the little experience I have with them (flown them once).

Kurt

MTV

The other issue with changing back and forth is finding a maintenance hangar or any hangar that has tall enough doors and strong enough overhead lift to SAFELY lift the plane on and off floats. Sounds easy, but in a lot of maintenance hangars, there's no good lift. There are ways to cobble something up, but if changing regularly, you don't want to play that game.

The PeeKay floats for the Husky are excellent floats, as are the Wips. To me, it's probably a toss up, except if I recall correctly, the hydraulics for the floats are all in the float in the PeeKays, which I thought was a great idea. So, the only hydraulic connections needed are brakes during a transition. Also, that saves having a useless 18 pound hydraulic package in the plane when you're on wheels. The PeeKay hydraulics are a marine setup, designed to be exposed to moisture.

MTV

BlackWater

Here is a video of putting PK floats on for the very first time. Filing the pork chops to fit was by far the most time consuming part, but not hard. The rest of it was really very easy and now to remove them for wheels and back onto floats would not be difficult at all. If you have any occasion to get down by San Francisco I would be glad to give you a ride. I spent four weeks all around BC with them last summer and I will be up there again for about 5 weeks this summer. I'm extremely pleased with how the PK are built and how they perform.

Larson

I half wish I had of installed the AOSS gear- only for the fact that it saves a bit of time and cutting bungees when changing between floats and gear.
I have the Seaplanes North HD gear- I do love this gear, an improvement over the original factory gear.

I need to allow a day for change over- but fairly straight forward..

Floyd

I too looked at putting floats on my Husky but in the end I decided to buy an experimental Super Cub with amphibs. There is too much fun to be had on wheels during the summer plus my flying buddy has only wheels on his Husky. A person can justify just about anything, so my thinking was a set of amphibs was going to cost a lot plus needed a hydraulic pump and controls installed by someone other than me. So my thinking was that was going to be about 1/2 the price I could find a plane ready to go. My wife only made me take her on an expensive trip but at least I got to go.