Tow bar

Jason MN

I just got my plane back on tires. I am looking at all options for tow bars. What available? Show me what you use.
I have a minimax for a cirrus I could convert. Anyone have that setup? I have an Alaskan Bushwheel setup 3224A

GreggMotonaga

For manual moving, I use the Bogi-bar. Bogert Aviation.

For powered moving, I use the Power Tow. Powertow. I have the gas version, but after 12 years, my carburetor and throttle linkages have needed attention. I wonder if the electric version would be maintenance free other than swapping a battery on occasion.

joemcd

+1 on the Bogi Bar. I have a Best Tug Bravo that works with my Baby Bush Wheel. It’s a great tug.

belloypilot

I have a minmax. Works well but kinda spendy, and with a BBW I don’t like pushing with it. I have a custom made tow bar that clamps on the axel extensions when I need to use a tug, and a Bogert when I want to hook tug on the tailwheel. Why all the gadgetry? Well, the axel tow bar doesn’t work when the skis are on, I’m often dealing with a snowy or icy ramp in the winter, and I get frost heaves in front of the hangar door. It ain’t easy being a Canuck I tell ya

Last edited:

bumper

Made my own, similar design to the Bogi-Bar, using an over-center lever to spread the bar ends. The ends have Delrin plastic inserts, so won't damage paint on tailwheel forks. Pulling end can be swapped for T-handle or 2" receiver hitch. A rope can be attached to pull plane back into hangar using a rope on an electric capstan winch. This works really well, pulling plane even over snow/ice berms in front of hangar. Sorry, no pics.

Jeb

I use a taildragger dragger. Kind of grabs the wheel and lifts it up. Works well with bbw.

Last edited:

ChipBeck

Gentlemen,

I had a Best Tug that made getting my Cirrus in and out of the hanger a breeze but didn't think I'd need one for the Husky. But then, I don't NEED the Husky either. I ordered a Best Tug A-2 and what a joy that thing is. Yes I could get the Husky in and out with a manual tow bar but the Best Tug is more secure, far more precise, and effortless. It was a great purchase and I'm glad I have it.

Chip

Last edited:
I have a Bogi bar but switched to a Best Tug Alpha when my back went bad (Army paratroop years catching up with me). I really enjoy the Best Tug, especially when I have the 26" tires on the dog - expensive, but what is my back worth?

Ak Kurt

Chris, it wasn’t my back, it was my shoulder that was being damaged. Bought a Best Tug, very cheap shoulder therapy in my opinion.

Kurt

EAD

I just got my plane back on tires. I am looking at all options for tow bars. What available? Show me what you use.
I have a minimax for a cirrus I could convert. Anyone have that setup? I have an Alaskan Bushwheel setup 3224A
I use the taildragger dragger. Easy to pull the airplane on level ground.