Transition to Cessna 180

Gust Kalatzes

Harry said it right in a way....”Solo tandem is a perfect old man’s plane”

I just turned 66 last week and hope to have many more productive flying years but my flying has turned into just me going out on my own or with a formation of friends ....not many trips with my wife or more than a two hour radius. And I seem to struggle with wedging, out of shape, not very limber foks in and out of the back.

So the Cessna will put us back in the cross-country mode...and taking multiple friends again.

I always wanted to explore the desert Southwest, in Gust’s territory but my first plane (Grumman) was performance limited and the Husky is slow in getting there so I’m trying something that will handle the environment and get me there in a reasonable amount of time.

The Husky “knocks it out of the park” with the ramp appeal, novelty and runway performance here in Pa. The Cessna ..not so much (except for the Castro history).

Thanks all for the feedback. I can see that although the planes are so different, they both appeal to needs of many on this forum.

Chris
The Husky really is an excellent solo tandem plane, but as you described maybe not so much for the passengers.

Hopefully you can make it out one of these days Chris. The terrain is truly spectacular.

Gust Kalatzes

Monument Valley and Mexican Mountain for starters...

Maybe even Price!

C
I’m 10 minutes from Mexican Mountain by 185. Lots of others you would enjoy to.. Monument Valley and Mexican Mountain.

Attachments

• 3C13DC5F-39D2-443B-B5A4-3B66DD05C302.jpeg
    3C13DC5F-39D2-443B-B5A4-3B66DD05C302.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 40
  • 43BD5C00-17AE-4B34-B734-48D694A70536.jpeg
    43BD5C00-17AE-4B34-B734-48D694A70536.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 39

rnorty

Kinda off topic but it looks like I might have the chance to transition to a C180, 1955 vintage, and It seems that many here have 180 time so I wanna ask how hard will it to move over?

Got 375 hrs in TW mostly in my A-1B and some in an A-1. Never had a big issue but then never pushed it in in a hard wind. Got a bunch of straight tailed 182 time.

What might be the biggest issue
Chris - How's the Cessna 180? Do you plan to keep your husky?

I'm thinking about a 180 - growing family, and the Husky is just too small for hunting and camping. Plus another 25-30mph would be awesome.

I ended up with about 500 hours in the 180 and am at about 100 in the Husky which, sadly, I am not keeping. I’ve got a 182 that’s the be-all-do-all after the Husky sells.
They are really different airplanes, like, dramatically different airplanes. The 180 will haul so much more and get there faster and is still equally cool as a Husky but it is also, so much less fun. That’s really what it comes down to in my mind though, practicality versus plain old enjoyment. If I could keep the Husky AND, a Cessna, that’s pretty perfect. Otherwise, the art of life is in managing your compromise. Having a 180 isn’t coming out on the bad side of that compromise. Good luck!

groshel

Sold the Husky back in July…went to a good home in Colorado.

So I went from a “like-new” 21 year old plane to a 1955 180. Lots of pluses and minuses.

The pluses…I do enjoy the extra 25 knots and I’ve got the fuel burn under 11. It has a control gap seal kit, It flies like a Cessna, so it’s not especially exciting but the seal kit improves the feel and speed a bit.

I fly it light.. only had it topped off and loaded up on a couple legs but runway performance is very good. Take off distance with two and half fuel is about 50% more than a Husky…I’m thinking around 500’ roll (1500’ DA). Climb is showing 1300-1500. Landings are consistently 600-800’ with full flaps. I know I’ll be able to do a bit better as I get more familiar but I’m very satisfied.

I’m finding it as easy or even easier to fly than the Husky…..it trims up nicely and floats enough that I have time to work up nice landings.

I was worried about crosswinds but the plane stays where you aim it whereas I felt the Husky was more at the mercy of gusts and turbulence.

Plenty of room and comfortable, visibility maybe about the same

Now the minuses …

It’s old…mine doesn’t have the hours but with 67 years there is corrosion. Nothing show stopping but it’s there.

It’s heavier…not by a huge amount but enough to make a difference pulling it up a grade into my T hangar. Luckily a friend gave me an almost new 40 EZ tow that I plan to use when I get the right adapter. It’s not a plane that you casually push around for sure.

1950’s ergonomics ..or lack of….the toe brake position is atrocious.
Part of my TO and Landing check is feet placement. I drag the brakes all the time. Controls and switches placement are haphazard. It’s an original layout so stuff is scattered across the panel. Heater works great but a cabin airflow control is a bit odd. Fuel management is not comfortable to me with 5 gallons unusable out of 60 and a “No takeoff” range at the lower end of the scale. Float gages bob up and down just like the Husky. Had an airborne abort off a 1200’ strip couple weeks ago after I had a total fuel transfer to one side by sitting on a side slope. It caused a hard stumble right after liftoff.

Now that my wife sits next to me she’s surprised how busy I am the cockpit. Cowl flaps, flap handle, prop and mixture control, floor mounted pitch trim, carb heat, funky radio placement…things that she didn’t see me manipulate in a Husky……but ….she’s loves the plane.

She and I just took our first trip with Piper our 40 lb. dog.

Piper never flew in the Husky and my wife stopped after her knees and back started acting up but now they are both ready to hit the road. It’s the right plane for us at this time in our lives. We want to get back to the long cross country trips and the Cessna is the right equipment….not saying the Husky couldn’t do it but speed and comfort matter.

Here back east, people don’t come up and oogle at our 180 like they did the Husky but that’s OK…we’re starting to go places again.

I miss the Husky to be honest…it fit perfectly for my transition to tail wheel and for my local flying..it had ramp appeal and was the nicest I’ll ever own but it also limited my total flying. Maybe when we’re done doing trips I’ll be back to the Husk.

All in all it was a smart move for me. I got a “mechanics special” because I can and it was priced right and came from an acquaintance who wanted me to have the plane. Suggest if you go this route …find a nice lightweight plane. You won’t go wrong.

Chris

Audette

We were lucky enough to become the stewards of Chris' Husky. WE LOVE IT! This airplane is 20+ years old and I have never seen a better maintained plane. We have no plans to make any modifications. It's perfect just like it is.

We Fly out of C08, and that comes with 11,000 ft DA's in the summer. This plane, with the MT prop, is a crazy good performer out of our home base. My better half is now taking flight lessons out of KPUB, which is about 50 miles away. There can be some crazy winds that way. On nice days, the husky is perfect for commuting. On not so nice days, we fly our RV-7a.

About 50 hours on the Husky now and we couldn't be happier!

We were lucky enough to become the stewards of Chris' Husky. WE LOVE IT! This airplane is 20+ years old and I have never seen a better maintained plane. We have no plans to make any modifications. It's perfect just like it is.

We Fly out of C08, and that comes with 11,000 ft DA's in the summer. This plane, with the MT prop, is a crazy good performer out of our home base. My better half is now taking flight lessons out of KPUB, which is about 50 miles away. There can be some crazy winds that way. On nice days, the husky is perfect for commuting. On not so nice days, we fly our RV-7a.

About 50 hours on the Husky now and we couldn't be happier!
Congrats!