Wheel spacer

Flying Dave

The outboard wheel spacers on our airplane are showing some wear (grooves in the metal) and could stand to be replaced. I am guessing they are original and with 3700 hours, it's time. Is this a Cleveland part or something I need to order from Aviat? To be clearer it is the spacer between the axle nut and the wheel. In the parts manual, Figure 16, listed as Item 32, stock number 81645. Having difficulty finding it listed anywhere else.

Thanks!

bumper

Looking at the Cleveland parts diagram for their 40-60 wheel, the ones I find on-line show the use of washers rather than the longer spacer used on the Husky. Guessing this spacer, like the elevator brass split bearings, is something Aviat has machined for them. Years ago, I posted about those brass bearings Aviat uses on the elevator hinges. They sold then for around $90 apiece, when they were paying something like $7 each (a good friend knew the owner of the small machine shop that made them for Aviat). Anyway, the wheel spacer is simple to fab at most any machine shop.

Not sure why there'd be grooves wearing in it, as normally it's stationary and clamped between the axle nut and the fixed inner part of the bearing.

Flying Dave

Thanks Thomas!

Bumper, not sure either. Looks like maybe a bearing at some point may have spun in the spacer. Uncertain. I’ll take a pic the next time I have the wheels off

Last edited:

bumper

Assuming the ends of the spacer aren't buggered up due to abuse when installing, you can clean up any burrs on the body. If the spacer length is such the axle nut has enough thread adjustment to seat the bearings, then back off and hand tight (Or whatever procedure you use), then the spacers should be good to go. Light grooves in the spacer body shouldn't affect function so long as the spacer is sound. Pics would be interesting.

Flying Dave

Swapped wheels again this weekend. It looks like the bearing at some point in its life has spun on the spacer to me. Not sure if that’s from being too tight or too loose.l or too much grease or…

FEC97AAF-6050-40B3-81AC-AFF8483BF72C.jpeg

bumper

That groove looks very smooth, is there a felt washer sealing against that (I can't recall offhand). If so, abrasive dirt in the oil separating from the grease, could produce a shiny smooth wear like that.