100 Hour/ Annual Inspection Checklist

I just finished the annual inspection on my Husky. I couldn't find a 100 Hour / Annual Inspection Checklist. I searched here, and there was thread on it, but for some reason it wouldn't open. So, I made one from the Aviat ICA. It's pretty much extracted from the ICA. I can make changes if you guys have some good stuff to add. The ICA pdf itself was too large to add. If you're interested in that I'll send you one. Just let me know.

gunny

Attachments

• A1B Annual Inspecion Checklist Husky 100 Hour-Annual Inspection .pdf
    203.2 KB · Views: 279

K Borror

Thanks Scott, you’re going to have us all updated and upgraded at the rate you’re going. How do you like the new panel? I have flown a little with Juan on the Sacramento River here in Northern CA . Thanks

TheFlyingMouse

Good timing! Our Husky is going in for annual this month and we have a paper copy of the 100 hour ICA that we intend to leave with our IA.

Is there anything in your list already that is not in the ICA? If so it would make sense for us to print off a copy of this one too.

Download it and check it out. When I do annuals on airplanes the first thing I want is guidance like this in a format that I can print out and use to make notes and check things off as I do them. What I said in my above post is that I extracted the stuff from the ICA and then put it into a useable checklist format. The current ICA does not meet that definition. But to strictly answer your question.... No.

gunny

TheFlyingMouse

Download it and check it out. When I do annuals on airplanes the first thing I want is guidance like this in a format that I can print out and use to make notes and check things off as I do them. What I said in my above post is that I extracted the stuff from the ICA and then put it into a useable checklist format. The current ICA does not meet that definition. But to strictly answer your question.... No.

gunny

That makes sense; I just wasn’t sure if you had already added extra line items besides what you translated, so thanks for the strict answer!

I’ll run a comparison against our copy of the ICA this week and post back if we have anything to add. There are a few extra ADs on our Husky because of the prop strike that might be worth including in a general checklist like this. Will let you know.

Thanks!

TheFlyingMouse

I’m not opposed to being called weird. In the end I maintain a recurring AD list that I add to when something new shows up for my own purposes.

For example, I have these in a document I keep specific to our Husky for my own airworthiness checkup:

AD-2020-16-06: Compliance 9/17/2021, 538.0 tach. Horiz stab inspection. Have it done at next annual for alignment.

AD-2004-10-14: Compliance 1/19/2021, recurring due to prop strike.

AD-2015-02-07: prop governor idler shaft set screw. Comply at next overhaul.

I would assume everyone wants AD-2020-16-06 done at annual, and those with prop strikes probably want 2004-10-14 done, although maybe this is not true.

I’m coming at this from a new owner perspective, working with a new to me IA.

A checklist like this is great to give an idea of what I should expect my IA to get done so that I can be confident that they didn’t miss known knowns by accident. I can also mark it to communicate any preventative maintenance I might have done recently so they don’t have to grub through the logbooks straight away.

I guess if you’re coming at this from an IA or mechanic’s perspective then it’s more of a document for you than the owner and it’s not important to include ADs. Ultimately as the registered owner, I am responsible for the airworthiness and safety in flight of our Husky, so I want to validate my mechanic and IA’s work in some way. That includes cross-checking the AD compliance myself after the fact.

To keep a theme going here, maybe that’s just me!

Nobody called you weird.... but if you like that, that's fine. Just don't call me Shirley;)

It's a great idea for you as an owner to keep track of the MX required for your airplane. But you hit the nail on the head as for who the Annual checklist is for.... it's for the IA.

The reason it's not important to include ADs in the checklist is primarily that they change and the Controlling document is the Logbook and the AD compliance list. When I look at a new airplane I have to go through the logs in detail to construct the history of the airplane... and ADs are just one, albeit critical, aspect of that history. A good AD Compliance list is worth its weight in gold... actually in TIME. I don't do work for other folks anymore, but when I did I never gave them the checklist. If they wanted a copy of it, sure, but it is for me as the AP/IA. I keep the checklist forever, or at least until my kids throw them away.

I check all the ADs every time with the most up to date database (I subscribe to T-Data). I bounce that off the AD Compliance List... knowing it has been confirmed by log references. A list as you suggest can and will go out of date, it is not comprehensive... as an owner that isn't a big deal, but as an IA it is.

I applaud your intentions... excellent. But the document you need to use for that is the AD Compliance List and the log entries. Insist that that list is comprehensive and up to date.

Most of the airplanes I have had, worked on, were/are old. Lots of log entries, sometimes lots of ADs. The Husky is the newest airplane I've owned/ worked on. There really isn't that much to deal with... for this one, 17 years... the next youngest airplane I had was 40 years old.

Keep at it, know your airplane.

David

In reference to item AD-204-10-14, PROP STRIKE, If your aircraft has had a prop strike this AD applies only once right after the prop strike, or at first annual after this AD came out. As Flying Mouse pointed out, if your airplane anytime in the past has had a prop strike, this AD should be checked, if it has not been addressed in the past. If the airplane has had a prop strike, in its history, after the AD came out, the mechanic should have addressed this issue at the time. A lot of people choose to have their engine rebuilt after a prop strike if it is a higher time engine as insurance (if you have it) will cover most of the cost of the rebuild. Whether the engine was rebuilt or just the prop strike inspection, the gears, etc. per the AD should have been replaced. Your engine log book should reference this and the AD will then be complied with with just an inspection of the log book rather than having to actually pull the gear, etc. to inspect and comply with the AD.

TheFlyingMouse

@David, that’s interesting. The AD compliance sheet that the previous IA for our Husky has been using has 2004-10-14 C1 marked as a potential recurring inspection rather than treating it like the other one time ones. Checking the AD directly on Google doesn’t bring up anything about recurring inspections. I get the impression that the former IA may have been bumping the compliance date on it every year unnecessarily.

Edit: I think this has the potential to derail the thread so I’ll make this my last post on subject. This does speak to Scott’s point that ADs are extremely dynamic and an IA needs to go through with a fine tooth comb for a new to them airplane. I think the same is good advice for owners whenever changing IAs or getting a new plane.

David

I too will finish with this. However, it is important for owners/A&Ps/IAs thoroughly check that the the ADs have actually been complied with and not just "pencil whipped". Many mechanics see "previously complied with" in the log books and never actually look to see where/how it has been complied with. My A&P/IA friend and I when working on "new to him" annuals have found critical ADs that were never actually complied with and had just been "pencil whipped" since they saw "previously complied with" in the log books. We have found this with Cessna 180s, Citabrias, and Maules. Why some of these planes did not fall out of the sky, mystifies us. Learn your plane, TRUST BUT VERIFY!

SUMMARY: Of AD 2004-10-14​

The FAA is adopting a new airworthiness directive (AD) that supersedes an existing AD, for Lycoming Engines (formerly Textron Lycoming), direct-drive reciprocating engines (except O-145, O-320H, O-360E, LO-360E, LTO-360E, O-435, and TIO-541 series engines). That AD currently requires inspection of the crankshaft gear installation and rework or replacement of the gears where necessary after a propeller strike, sudden stoppage, at overhaul, or whenever gear train repair is required. This AD requires the same actions but makes the correction that the existing gear retaining bolt and lockplate be removed from service and new hardware installed, and revises the definitions for sudden stoppage and propeller strike. This AD results from a change to the definition of a propeller strike or sudden stoppage. We are issuing this AD to prevent loosening or failure of the crankshaft gear retaining bolt, which may cause sudden engine failure.

And Lycoming is VERY restrictive on their definition of what is a Prop Strike that requires a teardown. I'm of the opinion that any prop strike/sudden stop requires a teardown.

Please let me clarify something on the comments about ADs and including them on an Inspection Checklist. As an IA I DO NOT refer to a checklist as to what ADs affect the airplane I am inspecting. I refer to the current FAA data (I use Tdata for the purpose). That is the only way to get a current list of ADs and then those are checked off the AD Compliance list that should be accomplished at every annual. The entry in the Checklist should be.... 'Check current ADs'. Trying to keep an Ad Hoc checklist updated brings needless complications to the process.

I hope that brings some clarity to ADs and Inspection Checklists.

It's time for another annual, so I revised the Inspection Checklist/Guide- version 2. I added a header that makes it easier to compute various times and keep track of everything. Some other small clean up items. If I missed anything let me know.

Attachments

• A1B Husky 100 Hour-Annual Inspection v2.pdf
    610.6 KB · Views: 88