200 horse Husky project

fliegenhund

appears to be...but calling it an A1-B to get around RPM limitation of A1-C.

I think there is a link on the site to pictures and narrative of the finished airplane being ferried to AK.

The AOSS gear mod is what intrigues me. I think this is a better gear system for those of us operating off-airport. But it's a labor-intensive mod...many hours of TIG welding needed, which has deterred me up to this point.

swestland

Upgrade

I have considered the 2200 upgrade gear with out completing the paper work.
The landing gear looks like a direct swap with no welding.
Put in the upgrade parts, I already have the Alaskan BushWheel spring, and leave the charted weight and RPM as an A-1B.
I feel better knowing that I have a stronger gear.
Any validity to my assumption?

fliegenhund

I haven't heard about the '2200' gear. 'Direct swap'-- does that mean same design, but with heavier tubing?

Chris

bumper

I'd heard they used heavier tubing. There's also a horizontal tube added between the main downtube and the rear angled downtube.

One weakness of the gear is caused by the twisting moment imparted by the wheel hitting an obstruction. As an example, take the left gear legs viewed from forward looking aft. When the wheel hits an obstruction, there is both aftward and upward component to the forces acting on the axle. This translates into a tendancy for the rear angled downtube to bend near its center to the left or inward.

The new added horizontal tube will add a bit of rigidity to the angled downtube to help prevent this bending.

I know about he main downtube cracking due to the rebound stops - - one of the benefiits of the SGS system is to help prevent this. What other failure modes have been experienced with the Husky gear??

bumper

fliegenhund

I haven't heard of any, nor do I recall seeing anything on mailing list.

I do like the idea of beefing up the gear assembly with heavier tubing and the horizontal brace. I might be interested in this bit of insurance since it presumably comes at much lower cost than AOSS, where both the gear itself and the installation are pricey.

Will Afton sell this for A1-B use?

lowlevelops

I noticed the air intake, heater intakes and other subtle differences on George's pics of his 200 hp project. I went to Aviat's web page and can't find any info on their new features and designs. I haven't had very good luck in the past dealing with them on the phone. How does somebody find out this info on the landing gear and whatever else?