5 leaf spring vs 3 leaf spring tail spring

Mepilot

Found an old article that mentioned the 3 leaf was 2.8 lbs lighter than the old 5 leaf. Can anyone confirm? Alaska didn't understand when I asked them.

also what are the thoughts on an acme shock tail with bungee mains? I see arguments for yes and no. Also concerned how much the acme will elevate the tail.

Flying Dave

I think, key word there lol, that the Airframes 3 leaf, the Acme and even Thomas’s spring that we are currently using stand a bit taller than the 5 leaf spring. However our old 5 leaf tailspring as far as I could tell was just that, old. 20 years and 3500 hours so it may have been a little saggy compared to even a new 5 leaf. I do like the fact that the tail is just that much taller from the weeds though.

We bounce back and forth between 29’s and some old 8.50’s over the course of the year. I think the takeoff run is a skosh longer on the 8.50’s but it’s not a ton imo. I would imagine if replacing the tailspring to a slightly taller one on the same tires would have similar results.

JeffOpar

I think, key word there lol, that the Airframes 3 leaf, the Acme and even Thomas’s spring that we are currently using stand a bit taller than the 5 leaf spring. However our old 5 leaf tailspring as far as I could tell was just that, old. 20 years and 3500 hours so it may have been a little saggy compared to even a new 5 leaf. I do like the fact that the tail is just that much taller from the weeds though.

We bounce back and forth between 29’s and some old 8.50’s over the course of the year. I think the takeoff run is a skosh longer on the 8.50’s but it’s not a ton imo. I would imagine if replacing the tailspring to a slightly taller one on the same tires would have similar results.
Hey Dave, just one skosh? Maybe a skosh and a half?