A1-A checklist

Airtractor

Does anyone have a good checklist that works well with a flow in the cockpit, the size is easily stored, has color and is double-sided???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbienz

I have a checklist. It's a Word Document that can be printed, folded and then laminated. The Husky is a pretty simple plane so there's not much to the checklist and it doesn't meet all your criteria (color etc.) but it could be a place to start. For any plane I fly regularly, I make my own checklist that fits the way I do things. I'd recommend you make your own.

Never mind...as always, this website won't allow anything to be added as an attachment, even if I follow all the prompts to "manage attachments>browse>select file>upload...it says it's an invalid file (even though it's a commonplace MS Word file). I have never seen a website so randomly difficult to add attachments.

Anyway, just write your own checklist. Sorry I can't post mine.

Meadowlark

I agree with you Thomas…… I waste too much time trying to get something small enough to post here. The Husky discussion list works far better.

"AirTractor"…….. The method I use on every aircraft I fly is……. TOUCH & EXAMINE EVERYTHING ! Every gauge, circuit breaker, switch, knob gets the once over……. First time, first flight of the day. My pre-flight is far less than yours should be as I have my own private hangar. I have found with my airplane all by itself it gets into far less trouble than when in the company of others.

J/C GTF

bumper

J/C,

This comment should probably be in a different thread, but it's not too difficult to post larger pictures here. Simply post the pic to one of the many photo sharing sites like www.photobucket.com. Then include the image url in your post here - - easy, even a "cave bumper" can do it.

What I like about "here", is the easily accessible and searchable archive of information. Make's researching an issue far easier than with a list server type system.

The problem with having both is that if you only use one or the other you'll miss things. Some, like TomD, are considerate to post more significant things to both list and forum. Others, like me, subscribe to both but primarily post only here (or there). I'll respond to stuff on the list serve, but for "new" things I mostly use this forum.

Not meaning to dis the list, but the bifurcation of Husky resources does have some downside in both missed info and a duplication of posting effort for contributors.

bumper

tbienz

Thanks Bumper. How about some advice about an MS Word document? Any idea why it won't accept it?

bumper

Not really. I'm a computer dummy, barely getting by.

You might try copy or cut and pasting here. Might lose text formatting, but it still should sort of work.

bumper

chrispo

I second the idea of making your own.

I started with the POH for the basics, then added from there. There are little things, such as checking the exhaust white leakage residue, a twist of the magnetos to be sure they're still attached (!), s-turns during taxi to check T&B and DG, transponder back to 1200 before shutdown, etc.

I've also copied the emergency section of the POH on to my checklist. That's the time to have this information at the ready.

I print it all on either index cards through a laser printer or photo paper (in color) in a photo printer then laminate them.

--Chris

tbienz

Well, here's just plain transferred text from Word. Again, this is a very basic checklist that works for me (after printing, it folds in half so fits in a shirt pocket). When you write your own, you can make it as long or short as suits you.

BEFORE ENGINE START
• Pre-Flight------------------ Complete
• Seat Belt Harness-------- Secured
• Tach Time------------------ Record
• Fuel------------------------- Sumped
• Fuel Caps------------------ Checked
• Fuel Valve----------------- ON
• All Electrical Switches--- OFF
• Flight Controls------------ FREE
• Brakes---------------------- Firm
STARTING ENGINE
• Carb Heat------------------ Cold
• Prop Control-------------- Full In
• Mixture-------------------- As Needed
• Master--------------------- ON
• Throttle-------------------- OPEN ¼”
• Prime, then lock--------- 1 – 6 strokes
• Ignition--------------------- Start
• Oil Pressure--------------- Check
• Alternator Field---------- ON
• Radios---------------------- ON
• Altimeter/GPS/Radios-- SET
BEFORE TAKEOFF: PHBLT with FF & MS
• Trim------------------------- Takeoff
• Mixture-------------------- As needed
• Throttle-------------------- 1900
o Mags------------- Check EGT rise
o Carb Heat------- RPM Drop?
o Ammeter-------- Charging
• Throttle--------------------- 1700
o Prop Control---- Cycle x 3
CRUISE
• RPM------------------------- 2000
• Throttle-------------------- 1/2” off full
• Mixture-------------------- 100 ROP (1200)
• Economy: 2000/20”/Peak Lean
SHUTDOWN
• All lights-------------------- OFF
• Radios/Alternator-------- OFF
• Master---------------------- OFF
• Mixture--------------------- Cut OFF
• Throttle (as it dies)------- Advance
• Magnetos------------------ OFF
• Tach Time------------------ Record
• Stick/Airframe/Pitot---- Secure/Cover
Vx: 60 Vy: 70 Va: 94 Vg: 73

Snowbirdxx

On cold weather I recomment to have the carb heat on HOT for cold engine start.
During the first revs, the carb heat delivers almost instantly warm air to the intake, making the mixture richer. Less chance for the engine to stave at low RPMs.

After 1-2 min warmup, the carb heat goes to cold.

Ksmith

Thomas B
What is: PHBLT with FF and MF
It sounds like something one would see in the personal column. :D

5thhusky

In addition to whatever mechanical checklist you use I also brief my passengers with BOISE: B=Belts (seat), O=Oxygen (we won't go that high), I=Indigestion (where the airsick bags are), S=Smoking (don't even think about it), and E=Exits (how to get out). This should handle most Part 135 requirements also, other than Life Vests if flying over water.

tbienz

Kerry, sorry I missed your question until just now. No, not the personal column, just a silly thing I use that I was taught long ago and still works well for me. I didn't bother to explain the letters because I'm sure everyone has their own "get the important things done before lifting off checklist." Even though many of these don't apply to the Husky, I try to run through it in my mind before takeoff just to make sure nothing got missed regardless of which plane I'm in.
The letters are a mnemonic. Piping Hot BLT (as in the sandwich) with French Fries and a Milk Shake (We used lots of mnemonics in medical school, but most of those can't be printed here:D)
Significance:
Pressurization: set 1000 above field, set rate, check bleed air valves open
Hot: pitot heat on, prop heat if needed, light fire in cabin heater if desired
Boost pumps ON for takeoff
Lights: landing and taxi plus strobes
Transponder: ON-ALT
Flaps: cowl flaps open
Flaps (again): set wing flaps at takeoff position
Mixture: set for takeoff (full rich in turbo'd planes, altitude appropriate for Husky)

Upon clearing the hold-short line after landing I go through it again and everything gets reset, turned off, etc.

mritter

Won't bore you with the details but the Taxi and Before Takeoff checklist memory aid I use is;

Boy Could I Go For A Trim Redheaded Female Late Tonight

Ksmith

Thomas
Thanks for the explination. I learned to do everthing by flow in the big airplane, backed up with a written check list. In the Husky, being much less complicated, flow seems to be enough. I'm going to print your check list and try it.

bumper

Won't bore you with the details but the Taxi and Before Takeoff checklist memory aid I use is;

Boy Could I Go For A Trim Redheaded Female Late Tonight

Alright, that does it, to hell with flying, I'll take the checklist please. Let's have the sordid details!

bumper

Ksmith

Thomas B
Ok, I must be slow or something. I followed the check list:

Pre-flight----------------Complete
Seat Belt Harness------Secured
Tach Time---------------Recorded
Here is where I had a problem......
Fuel----------------------Sumped
Fuel Caps----------------Checked

How do you check the fuel caps and reach all of the sumps when strapped in?:D

tbienz

For me that's a true checklist, not a "do" list. If I didn't already do it on the preflight, it cues me to get out and check (unless I'm feeling daring and fly anyway:p). Same with the sumping the fuel, although I have found that if I forget this step it can be done from the pilot's seat quite easily (except the gascolator).

My real problem seems to be that I forget the ignition keys in the bag (since twins don't use keys) packed in the back of the plane or sometimes just low down in my jeans pocket which is hard to reach after seat belts are cinched. I try to remember to hang it from the panel when I arrive...but I don't always succeed!