A1-B and G5 panel mounts in the way

Mikejr718

I have a 1999 A1-B. It was equipped with an AV30 as an attitude indicator when I bought it last year. After a year of struggling to get the AV30 to work well enough to trust I am ready to move on. It will work well for several flights then randomly will indicate a nose up turn in level flight for a few minutes before correcting itself. I have had a pair of G5’s in a Mooney for a few years and one in a citabria. Have found them very reliable. I considered a GI275 but was told by Aviat it would not fit, problems with d sub connector shell and frame behind panel. I have seen many g5 installations an it looks like the two center panel vibration mounts interfere and are no longer installed. Can anyone that has installed them let me know how to deal with the panel vibration mounts, leave them out or move them? If two G5’s are installed what is the best way to deal with all four center panel mounts being in the way?

belloypilot

IMG_0075.jpeg I think they removed the rubber mounts but will confirm tomorrow and post if that’s not the case. I would have preferred flush mounting but I think that would require fabricating a replacement for the floating panel.

In theory I would prefer the 275s but I’ve heard others say the length of those units is a problem. If I were doing this again I’d be sure to investigate that thoroughly before giving up on it. 3 x 275s with the Garmin EIS on one is sure a nice panel.

Too bad about your grief with the AV-30. I have them in my Acrosport and and few others on my home field do as well. I have mixed feelings about the ergonomics but no one I know has had reliability issues.

Let us know how this unfolds for you.

groshel

I installed my G5 (just one unit) to replace the A Horizon. It wasn’t a flush mount, it just overlayed the panel like Mike’s picuture above. I did have to change the shock mounts adjacent to the G5 with ones that had threaded inserts, countersunk the panel and put in flush screws so the G5 sat flat. (I see he ditched all those tacky acorns nuts!)

Proteus

If I recall correctly the g5 installations call for the removal of the vibration mounts, so you do without the mounts and just go solid bolts and spacers. I did the 2x g5s and have been pleased with them

Mikejr718

I replaced the panel mounts with the lord ones groshel mentioned earlier in preparation to install a g5. Found three of them torn and one that the acorn nut did not grip the panel when tightened. Noticed uavionix has just released updated software available that addresses the robustness of the attitude indication. After replacing mounts and updating software the av30 is working great. It was turbulent today and tried some climbing and descending steep turns and anything else I could come up with to confuse it and it was solid.

jliltd

Yes. With modern digital panels it is suggested to remove rubber shock mounts. If the same panel offset geometry is desired then aluminum bushings the same length as the rubber mounts can be used with long screws.

jliltd

Shock Mounts.jpg

The link below is for a post I did back in 2014 showing the shock mount changes to flush mount the panel screws where the G5 overlaps. My apologies in advance that this thread was done 9 years ago with a Sandia 340, not a G5. But later I installed a G5 in the exact same space without modification. In fact I have re-done my panel twice since. As shown in the photo above I used some replacement shock mounts from McMaster Carr similar to those shown by groshel in this thread. So since the G5 only re-uses the existing 3-1/8" instrument hole there is no interference with the new type shock mounts referenced in the old thread. The new flush screw heads keep the panel face flat.
https://flyhusky.com/forum/index.php?threads/sandia-quattro-340-installation-in-a-1b-200.1772/