Sandia Quattro 340 Installation in A-1B-200

jliltd

Bass fishermen like the little sparklies in the paint used on their boats. Most geek pilots (incriminating myself) like all sorts of little flashy displays and things to take care of their ADD during cruise. ADD types tend to have a good scan. But when the opportunity presents itself to fully defend a new panel gizmo purchase put me first in line.

I ordered a Sandia Quattro SAI 340 exactly one year ago from ACS and it had been on backorder until two weeks ago. The project I had originally intended to use the Quattro unit in is long gone. So I bought a Husky a month ago that had one vacuum instrument, an RCA attitude indicator. In light of the FAA's recent policy of allowing the replacement of a vacuum AI with a solid-state TSO'd digital horizon being only a "minor mod", I started thinking about the weight savings and reliability advantages of following the FAA's new guidelines. Plus, "I had me one" in the box. So what the heck? Here are two photos providing a quick summary of the before and after, in case anybody doesn't want to read anymore of my installation details down below (I can, at times, be a real blow hard):

ORIGINAL PANEL

NEW PANEL

The Quattro is designed to fit right into a standard 3 1/8" instrument hole, directly replacing the original AI. This is also a condition of the FAA policy to deem this a minor modification with logbook entry. You can't change instrument locations. No problem here for me. The Quattro also has an internal Lithium battery that provides for a completely redundant power source to keep the unit alive for 2 hours or better (depending on brightness settings). This backup power is another condition of the FAA's vacuum replacement approval.

I commenced by removing the original vacuum gyro and associated hoses, filters and regulator. I also removed the vacuum pump and installed the Lycoming parts called out to properly blank out the accessory case vacuum pad, including removal of the internal gear and insertion of a Lycoming plug eliminating the gear all together. That's normal engine stuff so I will stick to the Husky panel work henceforth.

I then pulled the shock-mounted instrument sub panel to facilitate a proper installation. There are only three things required for a typical Quattro install. Electrical install (+/- with new 2 amp breaker), tee into the pitot pressure line, and tee into the static instrument line. Here are a couple of photos of the unboxed unit being fit from in front of and from behind the panel on the bench.

Those of you with a keen eye might notice an issue here and you would be right. Two of the original panel shock mounts and associated acorn nuts are very close to the AI cut-out and interfere with the two upper corners on the Quattro unit. Here's what it looks like from above:

So to correct the problem I procured a few female/male rubber shock mounts rather than the original male/male rubber mounts. I went with natural rubber with a 8-32 threads (same size threads as original).

SHOCK MOUNT COMPARISON

I then countersunk the two interfering mount hole locations on the front of the removed sub-panel and substituted the newly procured female/male rubber mounts at those locations so that the instrument mounting screws could be installed flush through the panel and into the mount and not interfere with the Quattro's corners. Here is a photo of the two new rubber mounts with countersunk instrument screws for the panel temporarily put in place back in the airplane:

I removed the original Bose Interface circuit breaker and associated system and replaced it with a new Klixon 2 Amp circuit breaker for the Quattro. I labeled the breaker "EFIS" for lack of a better idea. Perhaps PFD would be better. No guidance in the Sandia documentation for that but I think I'm good with EFIS. A couple of 24AWG wires (from breaker and to ground) and the mechanical install is done.

I used the Quattro unit's built-in set-up menu and the POH, TC data and panel markings to set the various speed values to match the aircraft and range marking (currently the unit requires a conversion of the POH numbers to knots for speed arc programming -- more on this later). A little logbook work and Bob's your uncle:

FINAL RESULT

On first power-up the unit had about a minute of boot time and alignment and then showed a 10 degree nose up 3-point attitude (with 26" mains and a Baby Bushwheel). A buddy and I lifted the tail to level and the indicator bar came right in line with the horizon. Really cool.

The unit feels solid and is well made. As well it should having been vetted by the FAA for two years. Truly unbelievable that at a weight of 0.8 lb and depth of less than 3" the device can take the place of a whole vacuum system. The barometer setting knob has a hardy feel and with a tap it also controls screen brightness. It was time to test things and so I put my good friend and fellow T-Hangar Mafia member, Dennis the Enforcer, in the front seat:

SINGLE KNOB

In flight the Quattro responds really well and has an instantaneous fluid flow. The little slip ball depiction is dead on with the mechanical ball in turns and skids.

BANK

The altimeter and airspeed settings read directly in line with the original analog instruments.

There is one annoying anomaly. The Quattro in it's current software level only displays speed in knots and has no provision to change units to miles per hour. That's kind of odd. Don't get me wrong. I like knots. In a perfect world we would all use knots instead of mph. But my Husky has all it's values given in the POH, TCDS and instrument marking and placards expressed in miles per hour. On my first approach I looked at the speed tape and saw a speed of 47. Even though I consciously knew it was knots I almost soiled myself as I am more used to the 55 mph value and would be stalled if it were 47 mph. Sheesh, who wants to do math on final? So this unit thing will probably have me reverting to the original ASI and ignoring the digital tape during approach. Where's the fun in that? I think Sandia is going to provide a units option in future software updates and in emails with the factory they have had some internal discussions so far. In my opinion if I were the FAA I would mandate this as there are so many aircraft with certified speeds specified in the POH, placards, markings and TC's in miles per hour it could lead to trouble. I know that the FAA mandates two different placards in certain models of aircraft (like Cherokees and Cessna 180's) based on serial number depending on whether they are older (mph) or newer (knots) and the two cannot ever interchange. Similar reasoning should apply here. I used to be a production DER and designer and could see an airworthiness requirement to have units match the POH at a minimum.

Every 5 years the battery pack needs to be replace with an OEM unit at the cost of around $150. The ICA's provide for a capacity test to be run every 2 years to ensure the battery is ready for an emergency backup event.

All in all it has been deeply satisfying removing a vacuum system of historically spotty reliability and replacing it with a neat little mini EFIS type display. And it takes care of my sparkle-paint, flashy gizmo ADD all in one.

I will install two more units. One in a Piper Comanche (with Aspen primary display) and a Cessna 180 (with King electric HSI unit), eliminating the vacuum systems for each of those.

Jim

P.S. The SAI 340 Quattro was this month's Aviation Consumer's best bang for the buck pick for a solid-state AI replacement.

Last edited:

johnaz

The Quattro is listed as a stand by unit, does that still mean one can eliminate the other units and use only the Quattro? Or just for attitude?
Looks nice, I saw them last year and tried to buy one, but on hold for so long, glad they are finally out now. Saw where Aircraft Spruce will have them later in Dec. for $2995.
John

jliltd

The Quattro (along with the L3 Genesis, King KI-300, Mid Continent SAM etc...) was initially intended to be an EFIS backup system. However, when the recent FAA policy statement was released these TSO'd units had the good luck of finding themselves in complete compliance as full replacement units, by default.

So while the SAI 340 Quattro was originally intended as a backup instrument, Sandia has found themselves with a Quattro completely legal for primary use due to the FAA announcement. Kind of neat and makes Sadia's long wait worth it. And more importantly brings the FAA out of the dark ages with it's trying to hang on to old failure-prone technology (vacuum pumps).

Jim

Snowbirdxx

Nice installation, seems straight fwd. The pic I liked best is the second one from the top. With the Ball/ Slip indicator inverted. Like I had one on my S-2B.

I belive you could have just leave the top shockmounts out. They 10 mounts were for a very heavy mechanical panel, and even therefor overdosed.

Last edited:

jliltd

I couldn't agree with you more from a structural and actual reality standpoint. I will take it one step further and say any floating sub-panel modification is non-structural with respect to the airframe. Those natural rubber mounts used by Aviat and Cessna have a tensile rating of between 8 and 12 pounds and a shear rating of about 3 pounds

That's all well and good but like hell I would do anything to in any way jeopardize the minor mod classification of this modification by deviating from the exact letter of the FAA language in their announcement. This is one of the first replacement installs and is within the same ACO and FSDO fifedoms as the product manufacturer. There is reality. And then there is reality. Reality be damned.

Aviat should have passed on the rubber shock mounts from the initial design. The rubber isolation concept was developed during WWII in an attempt to reduce the failures of gyroscopic instruments. Decades of experience and testing have shown that the rubber panel isolators do not reduce the rate of failure of spinning gyros or flight instruments. But the concept stuck. Like red cockpit lights, Marvel Mystery Oil and not running an engine over square, some aviation traditions are hard to break. Usually when replacing a panel for avionics and instrument upgrades the original shock mounts of any floating sub-panels should be replaced with aluminum bushings and machine instrument screws and nuts achieving the same standoff distance. Regardless of whether or not mechanical gyros are present.

Jim

johnaz

Can one eliminate the existing Aviat altimeter and airspeed with the Sandia unit and be legal?
Or just the horizon legal for replacement?
Thanks,
John

jliltd

That's a darn good question. I will ask Sandia and get back to you. Personally I wouldn't. But it is worth asking.

I got this about 30 minutes ago from Dennis Schmidt at Sandia:

"We are having an engineering meeting today regarding MPH setup option. I will keep you up to date on what we decide."

I responded with your question.

Jim

jliltd

Here is the language from the FAA. I see it as a big NEGATIVE for being able to replace the airspeed and altimeter. These are defined as secondary reference values in the Quattro. The FAA specifically states the original pitot-static instruments must remain in place:

For part 23/CAR 3 aircraft under 6,000 pounds with vacuum-driven attitude instruments, it is acceptable to replace vacuum-driven attitude instruments with electronically-driven attitude indicators under the following conditions:

1. A single function vacuum-driven attitude indicator may be replaced with a single primary function electronically-driven attitude indicator. A single function vacuum-driven attitude indicator may also be replaced with an electronically-driven attitude indicator that provides a secondary (advisory) function (such as turn & slip indication).

2. The electronically-driven attitude indicator has an independent standby battery that is capable of meeting the intent of §23.1331 and § 23.1353(h) to independently power the new instrument in the event of a loss of primary electrical power. It may not be acceptable to use the start battery as a backup power source for the electronically-driven attitude indicator unless its state of charge can be verified at takeoff.

3. The final installation and arrangement must allow for use of partial panel techniques in the event of a loss of the electronically-driven attitude indicator source.

4. Compliance must meet all other applicable regulations (i.e., §§ 23.1381, 23.1331, and 23.1353).

To install an electronically-driven attitude indicator as a minor alteration, the above conditions and the following additional regulations must be met:

1. The electronically-driven attitude indicator must fit into the existing location of the vacuum-driven attitude indicator and be properly set to indicate level flight. The existing airspeed, altitude, and turn/bank indicators must remain in their originally certificated or basic “T” locations. If any additional openings or modifications to the instrument panel are required to install the electronic instrument, the following requirements must be met:
i. The instrument panel cannot be part of the aircraft primary structure; or
ii. If the instrument panel is part of the aircraft primary structure, the aircraft manufacturer's instructions must include instrument panel modification instructions.

2. The electronically-driven attitude indicator requires only minor changes to the existing electrical and vacuum connections to the aircraft, per part 43.

3. The electronically-driven attitude indicator must be powered from a new, dedicated circuit breaker (or other appropriate circuit protection device), and it must be powered by a standby (backup) power source.

johnaz

Good info, figured the airspeed an alt could not stand alone on the Sandia. Please do advise on what they say about conversion to MPH.
I have basically eliminated the entire vacuum system on my Husky project to save weight.
Thanks,
John

jliltd

Hold the presses! The Airspeed and Altimeter Are TSO'd so the answer is yes, they can be primary indicators! This just in from Sandia Aerospace...

"Hi Jim,

Both the Airspeed and Altimeter are TSO'd functions, as are the slip and attitude.  So the short answer is yes.  But, and there are always But when dealing with FAA certification issues, it's best to contact you local FSDO inspector to see what his paperwork requirement are.  

On the MPH issue, we are going ahead with a software upgrade to make that a user configurable option.  We expect that to take a couple of months.  We can see where the different display units could be confusing and sure don't want that.  It will be a no cost software upgrade.  Thanks for bringing that to our attention.  We really value our customer feedback and it helps us make better products.

The 340 actually found a market we didn't expect, thanks to the FAAs new policy on replacing vacuum driven units.  We thought they would all be going in newer aircraft with glass panels.  Those are pretty much In Knots. Over you write and pic."

Will wonders ever cease.

Jim

tbienz

Nice installation. I have had a G600 in my other plane for about 7 years. Glass panel displays are great additions. For me personally, I love the display, but I have never really adapted to using the speed tape. I kept the analog airspeed display right next to the G600 and still use that gauge primarily when doing approaches etc. It is just easier to see "out of the corner of your eye" where the white needle sits on a black face than trying to read and interpret a digital number on the tape. If I were you, I'd keep the analog ASI. Besides, it doesn't weigh that much and these fancy electronic instruments actually DO fail with some frequency (personal experience) they just don't totally fail, and they let you know when they've failed, and what part has failed (a very nice feature).

B737Jock

Can someone tell me where to get the male/female panel shock mounts? I would like to replace the ones in my Husky A-1.
Gordon Cragg
713-502-7274

johnaz

Shot of my new carbon fiber panel. Used the same as stock Husky layout, with EI and digital horizon. Eliminated the vacuum system and several instruments to save weight.
And one can see the titanium firewall below panel in background.
John

Attachments

• 20151226_180548.jpg
    20151226_180548.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 136

jliltd

John,

Very nice.

There's something to be said about a clean light panel with a nice presentation. I like it very much. Perfect for my type of flying (VFR contact low level). Is the carbon fiber panel your of own making or are they available from a source?

What is the electronic instrument with the slip ball to the left of the Garmin?

Do you have a thread about your aircraft or improvement projects?

Jim

joemcd

Your panel looks really nice John. I look forward to seeing your plane completed and hearing what your final weight is.

Joe

johnaz

John,

Very nice.

There's something to be said about a clean light panel with a nice presentation. I like it very much. Perfect for my type of flying (VFR contact low level). Is the carbon fiber panel your of own making or are they available from a source?

What is the electronic instrument with the slip ball to the left of the Garmin?

Do you have a thread about your aircraft or improvement projects?

Jim

RC Allen with slip/ball, digital horizon. Carbon Concepts/Randy Appling in Wasilla does the carbon fiber stuff, have all baggage and interior panels and floorboards in carbon fiber. Titanium firewall, eliminated the vacuum system and many gauges, moved battery and all cabling to firewall, Hartzell Trailblazer prop and spinner (saved 29lbs there), AOSS gear, carbon fiber tailspring by Thomas, Lycon 0360 dynoed at 219HP, Powerflow exhaust.

jliltd

Update. Having flown the Quattro in the Husky for approximately 30 hours and talked to Sandia Aerospace about my impressions so far (which are generally good) I received the following email this morning. I can't ever remember getting this kind of fast and pro-active support from a product manufacturer. Especially one who doesn't know me from Adam. Gosh.

Good morning Jim,

Just wanted to give you a quick update on the SAI 340 Quattro.  We are about to release a new new software version (V15).  The new software has several enhancements that have been incorporated based on your feed back.  The three changes are:

1. Improved roll and pitch performance in high vibration environments.

2. Airspeed can be configured in either KTs or MPH.

3. Add an Installation Configuration mode for the BARO Set Window.  This allows the Baro to reset upon turn on in three different ways.

a.  Reset the Baro to 29392 upon turn on (this is the the current implementation)

b.  Retain the last Baro setting at turn off.

C.  An Auto mode that retains the altitude at turn off and computes the current Baro at turn on.  

We are going to provide this software to all Quattro owners at no charge.

Most of the line items were based on my feedback except they went one farther with the altitude memory Auto Mode. That's a brilliant addition for those of us with bush aircraft who often land hundreds of miles from ATIS, AWOS, ASOS or even cell coverage.

Jim

johnaz

Do you find on use that the tape only reading 40 knots works on the low end for the Husky? Just wondered how the readings were at the low speed end.
Thanks,
John

jliltd

John,

The tape starts reading at 20 knots (and soon to be 23 mph with the new software update statute mile unit option).

If you're ever passing through the KELP area you're welcome to come check out the unit in my panel. Our Husky is used like a farm truck giving us access to remote farms in the Southwest. Heck, Maybe we'll even go flying if we decide we can put up with each other..... ;) wink

Jim

Last edited: