Alaska 29" Bushwheels

Luke06426

Looking to see if anyone else has had similar issue on their 29" Airframes Alaska bush wheels.

Mine were less than 18 months old, with about 100 landings - 70% paved runways, when three little dime/quarter size wear spots appeared (2 on one tire, 1 on the other). See pictures below. I went to Alaska Airframes and they said it was normal wear when using on paved runways and offered me a "10%" discount on new tires :). Needless to say, I wasn't happy. Especially since on my previous Husky, I had probably 350+ landings (80% on paved since I used them for initial tailwheel training) in a similar 18 month period on 29" ABW tires, without any problem and those tires are still in use. And my mission often doesn't provide me alternatives to paved runways.

I personally think it's a rubber compound issue - the tires were manufactured during COVID-19 and all the supply chain issues that happened at that time.

Anyone else experience the same problem on their Airframes Alaska Bush wheels??? I'd like to hear about your experiences.

Needless to say, I was uncomfortable flying on the tires and needed to replace them. ABW's offer was ludicrous - especially since I would still be landing frequently at paved fields in the future. WHy would I spend that type of money when they tell me that is normal wear for +- 100 landings.

So, I replaced the 29 inch ABW with Goodyear 26-inch tires tubed tires (plane pictured below at Oshkosh). Very happy. No signs of wear (already have 60 hours on them). I was told to expect a knot or two of higher speed with the slightly smaller and slightly lighter tires, but I have noticed any speed differences.

Attachments

• AB3.jpg
    AB3.jpg
    920.4 KB · Views: 60
  • AB2.jpg
    AB2.jpg
    882 KB · Views: 54
  • AB1.jpg
    AB1.jpg
    808.4 KB · Views: 57
  • GY1.jpg
    GY1.jpg
    922.8 KB · Views: 53

Cubrath

I wonder if the real problem was the tires had a heavy spot and were touching down on the same spot every landing?? Wouldn’t take long to wear a spot.

With 70% pavement landings, Goodyear 26’s are probably a much better choice.

Kent Wien

I’m at 650 hours on my 26” Goodyear tires and they’re doing great. Aren’t as soft to land as the Alaska Bushwheels but with SGS and the shock system in 2012 and later Huskys, they’re soft enough for me.

Those are some weird spots Luke.

Last edited:

Audette

If you're gonna land on pavement, don't waste your money on ABW's. I had them on my Maule and was super disappointed. Even off-airport, they won't last. I think they are a waste of money and over-rated. Goodyear and Super-hawks will last, for sure.

belloypilot

Bushwheels are primarily about absorbing impact during off airport ops. If you don't need that they're pointless. If you do they're worth their weight in gold and priced accordingly.

Luke06426

I wonder if the real problem was the tires had a heavy spot and were touching down on the same spot every landing?? Wouldn’t take long to wear a spot.

With 70% pavement landings, Goodyear 26’s are probably a much better choice.
Maybe that is a possibility, but that would still be a tire defect. Thanks.

Luke06426

If you're gonna land on pavement, don't waste your money on ABW's. I had them on my Maule and was super disappointed. Even off-airport, they won't last. I think they are a waste of money and over-rated. Goodyear and Super-hawks will last, for sure.
Hi. I was led to expect short life on the 29 inch ABW tires from my first Husky. But short life was stated in terms of anything over 400 to 500 landings was a bonus. And those tires are over 500 landing and still going. But on my new Husky, it was more like 100 landings and I had to replace. I think it was defective tires, but Airframes Alaska said it was my problem. I'm trying to see if others experience similar VERY short life experience.!!

Luke06426

Bushwheels are primarily about absorbing impact during off airport ops. If you don't need that they're pointless. If you do they're worth their weight in gold and priced accordingly.
Thanks Mike. The 26 inch Goodyears are also expensive (but not as much as the ABW) and have worked very well for me off-airport - in fact in some cases better. If I have a somewhat poor landing (my approach is not as stabilized as I like (or should have been)) I find I don't bounce as much with the Goodyear, which actually makes for a better landing. But my posting was more about finding out if others had similar problems with the ABW. I always knew the ABW wouldn't last as long, but +-100 landings was a little incredulous , especially with my prior Husky (same mission), the tires are at 400++ landings and still going strong.

belloypilot

Right. Apologies for the thread drift. My Husky got about 500 hrs from the first set of 31s. There was plenty of tread left but they developed a sidewall separation. Both tires, identical issue. Seems likely it was a manufacturing issue. My second set has 200 hours and are holding up well. Big difference is less than 20% of my landings are pavement.

I have 26” Goodyears as well and find them quite hard with not near the absorption of the ABWs. Good for more prop clearance on harder /smoother surfaces but for gravel bars with cantaloupe sized stones I’ll stick to my 31s. I run them as low as 5 psi but usually around 7 and find they bounce less than the Goodyears.

airplanebrad

It looks like they’ve been ran through a 10 grit belt sander. I’d land it as slow as possible, no braking and short taxing since you use mostly asphalt landings. I’m assuming the field had very rough asphalt as well. We see a lot of wear on some types of runways especially shell. The GY will give you no problems.

Paul Collins

I replaced the Bushwheels with Goodyears for the same reasons. I am happy with the Goodyears however they are not as 'flexible" on some more challenging surfaces. If you are 70% on pavement, the Bushwheels - and you - will pay the price.

Luke06426

It looks like they’ve been ran through a 10 grit belt sander. I’d land it as slow as possible, no braking and short taxing since you use mostly asphalt landings. I’m assuming the field had very rough asphalt as well. We see a lot of wear on some types of runways especially shell. The GY will give you no problems.
Hi Brad. Understand your thoughts. But my mission is identical on my current and prior Husky. Mainly the same airports, just a lot fewer of them with my current Husky. My prior 29's got 3 times the number of landings and are still going strong. Same plane, same pilot, same technique - only difference was the much shorter life of the ABWs.

Jeb

Something has to be causing such radically different experiences with bushwheels.
I have noticed by looking at tracks in grass and sand/gravel that they scrub A TON at the outside edges of the contact patch when the pressure is low for proper bushwheel use (4-8#). When I am going to operate on hard surface I use 12-16# and vary it occasionally so that I don’t scrub the same line all the time. Its easy to see a “corner” appearing on the tire if you are paying attention.

Ak Kurt

Luke,

A buddy had his 29’s develope a deep crack from side to side. The tires were in otherwise good condition. We took pictures of the tire and sent them to AK Bushwheel thinking they might be interested in investigating what happened. We were willing to cut the defective area out of the tire to make it easier to ship back to them thinking they may want to see it first hand. They had no interest, maybe they already knew the problem, if so they sure didn't share any details or maybe they just had no interest, I don't know. As expensive as these tires are, you would like to see them last as long as tread wear allow, you certainly don't want to have to deal with defects.

Like my brother Kent, I run 26 Goodyears with no issues. Yep, it’s a compromise but they have been the best overall tire for my mission. I have had 31’s in the past and they are great for what they are intended for but a waste of money for most of the type of flying that I and many others do. Match the mod to the mission.

Kurt

jhickstx

I have had my 29" ABW's with heavy tread for 5 yrs and 460 hrs. Roughly 1500 landings with only ~ 180 on pavement. Holding up well, but will probably switch to 26's when needed.