Alaska in June 2022

Jim martin

Any one going to Alaska around the second week of June. We are headed up the trench 10 June 2022. One super cub and my A1B.

Ak Kurt

Any one going to Alaska around the second week of June. We are headed up the trench 10 June 2022. One super cub and my A1B.
Does the Super Cub have long range tanks? If not I highly recommend the highway route for the Super Cub.

Kurt

belloypilot

There are a couple fishing lodge strips north of Fort Ware that’s its worth knowing about in case needed. Might even be able to arrange fuel at one of them if need be, but if that’s necessary I’d agree with Kurt and just take the highway route. Although, this note for the Scoop Lake lodge/B&B looks interesting (from the BC Aviation Association web site):

======================
APRX 2000' ASL / 3000X100 Hard Packed Dirt. Member Note: This is a private airstrip however it is also a bed and breakfast with reservations. There is no camping permitted and fuel is also available with prior notification. Scoop lake is open from June through September and owned by the Cary family who are great hosts. I have been flying there 4 of the last 6 years in a 172. The flight up the Rocky Mountain Trench is a beautiful trip. Fishing is possible at many of the surrounding lakes as well as at scoop lake. Float planes are also welcome. Contact the Carey's at 250-491-1885 or info@scooplake.com for reservations or more info.
=======================

Might be worth checking out.

Jim martin

Kurt the super cub has a belly tank. Not sure of the capacity. This will be my second trip flew my T210 Barrow in 2015. Flew all over Alaska. However most of the trip was high and fast. This time we are going low and slow. Thanks for the question

Jim martin

There are a couple fishing lodge strips north of Fort Ware that’s its worth knowing about in case needed. Might even be able to arrange fuel at one of them if need be, but if that’s necessary I’d agree with Kurt and just take the highway route. Although, this note for the Scoop Lake lodge/B&B looks interesting (from the BC Aviation Association web site):

======================
APRX 2000' ASL / 3000X100 Hard Packed Dirt. Member Note: This is a private airstrip however it is also a bed and breakfast with reservations. There is no camping permitted and fuel is also available with prior notification. Scoop lake is open from June through September and owned by the Cary family who are great hosts. I have been flying there 4 of the last 6 years in a 172. The flight up the Rocky Mountain Trench is a beautiful trip. Fishing is possible at many of the surrounding lakes as well as at scoop lake. Float planes are also welcome. Contact the Carey's at 250-491-1885 or info@scooplake.com for reservations or more info.
=======================

Might be worth checking out.
Thanks we have been in contact with the outfitter at Scoop lake. Fuel is hit or miss. Have been following the fly2ak.com website lots of useful info. Thanks for the suggestions will firm up the fuel issue. Last time we went we left Prince George and were above the trench in hard imc didn’t get to much of a chance to see it until Watson Lake. Thanks again

jimhusky

Thanks we have been in contact with the outfitter at Scoop lake. Fuel is hit or miss. Have been following the fly2ak.com website lots of useful info. Thanks for the suggestions will firm up the fuel issue. Last time we went we left Prince George and were above the trench in hard imc didn’t get to much of a chance to see it until Watson Lake. Thanks again
One quick suggestion, don’t refuel at Prince George use McKenzie (CYZY), because it is 88 nm further north. When I went to AK in my Husky, I was fueling at Prince George and talking to a local. When I told him I was headed to Watson Lake, he suggested fueling at McKenzie. I stopped at CYZY and it was sure nice to reach Watson Lake after 3.4 hours vs. the 4.3 hours it would have been out of Prince George. The times are in an A-1B with 8.00 tires, so the are faster than with big tires.

Jim Jordan
N73GT

groshel

One quick suggestion, don’t refuel at Prince George use McKenzie (CYZY), because it is 88 nm further north. When I went to AK in my Husky, I was fueling at Prince George and talking to a local. When I told him I was headed to Watson Lake, he suggested fueling at McKenzie. I stopped at CYZY and it was sure nice to reach Watson Lake after 3.4 hours vs. the 4.3 hours it would have been out of Prince George. The times are in an A-1B with 8.00 tires, so the are faster than with big tires.

Jim Jordan
N73GT
Is McKenzie at the south end of what’s called the “trench”?

belloypilot

Mackenzie is at the south end of the Parsnip Reach of Williston Lake. Technically the ‘trench’ follows the western side of the Rockies south to the US border or thereabouts but when most speak of the trench they mean the relatively low elevation wide valley from Fort Ware to Watson Lake.