Aluminum lift struts

Flying Dave

Stumbled across a new Husky in Controller advertising Airframes aluminum struts. Claimed 7 pound savings. Anyone going down this road in the future?

harry harper

Stumbled across a new Husky in Controller advertising Airframes aluminum struts. Claimed 7 pound savings. Anyone going down this road in the future?
Airframes makes them but available only through Aviat. But Airframes sells them direct for a various Cubs and Maules.
Haven't had the courage to ask Aviat what they want for them. Anyone else know?

Flying Dave

I was wondering about that as I didn’t see them listed. Airframes wants 4500 for a set for a Maule. Asking more out of curiosity than anything.

bumper

That comes to a little more than $500 for each pound shaved off. Kind'a make a diet seem a bit more appealing?

Flying Dave

When I was into mountain bikes it was normal to spend 1000 to shave a pound and that was a long time ago. Spent almost the same on a MT Ultra per pound lost. 500 today is a bargain lol. I’m wondering if they are equally as strong as the stock struts.

It’s been sort of quiet here. Trying to stir some conversation. If one had a ground loop would you go back with the stock struts or try these?

Flying Dave

$3695 direct from AirFrames Alaska as shown on their web page
I believe those are heavy duty sealed steel struts. Not the aluminum struts. The open ends look like a perfect place for mud dauber wasps to build a nest or three.

Last edited:

groshel

Yeah…I was thinking each strut…after that #3 baffle discussion anything is possible.

Hey….it’s aviation! And we’re talking $400,000 two seaters after all!

Flying Dave

Well, they (Airframes) are no longer making, at least that is my understanding, fully sealed struts anymore for the Cub crowd. I am guessing it's more labor intensive and I also guess these will reduce the corrosion worries. From what I understand, it's about 7 pounds lost total for the set, unpainted. I have no idea if they were producing Aviat's steel struts or not but I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future all new Husky's down the line will come with these. Time will tell I guess.

And the number given was a few clams over 10k.... If I read it right a SET for a Maule is less than 5k so Aviat, as much as I want to support them with parts purchases, strikes again. If they were available at the same price as a Maule, and I was on my second or third Crown and Ginger, I could possibly pull the trigger but at double the price it's a bit out of my tax bracket.