Best place to buy SkyTec 149-12PM

flyingjack

2007 A1-B; 1500 hrs: last several weeks, when starting it was getting worse at bumping past compression stroke. Checked out 13 months old Concorde RG-24XC- OK, swapped master solenoid, check connections, OK; so, looks like starter. Still running battery in stock position- not changing. Is there a better starter than what I'm using and if not suggestions for where to buy?
Thanks
Jack

Ak Kurt

Jack, I would pass on another Sky-Tec unless its the one Brad put in his airplane. My brother Kent knows the model number. I installed the Hartzell (ERZ- xxx) in mine, very happy with it. Not by my log books so I don't have model/part numbers in front of me. Maybe some one can pipe in with those.
There is more to this issue than the starter. Up sizing main power cable, different battery (Odyssey) solenoid and so on. All has been discussed in other threads.

Kurt

Snowbirdxx

Two Sky Tecs gave up in my Husky with the MT prop. Switched to the Hartzell Starter when they just came out. Never had a problem again. The Hartzell cranks slower and with higher torque.

Larson

2007 A1-B; 1500 hrs: last several weeks, when starting it was getting worse at bumping past compression stroke. Checked out 13 months old Concorde RG-24XC- OK, swapped master solenoid, check connections, OK; so, looks like starter. Still running battery in stock position- not changing. Is there a better starter than what I'm using and if not suggestions for where to buy?
Thanks
Jack
Have you checked the brushes?

Brad20j

The starter that Kent and I (and a few other local Huskys) have installed that’s been working great is the Skytec 149-NL. It’s a totally different unit than the one that instaled at the factory that people have problems with.

It doesn’t have permanent magnets to grow weak. It’s a little lighter than the Hartzell and a good deal less money. My mechanic has been using them for years in flight school airplanes because they take abuse well.

Kent Wien

The starter that Kent and I (and a few other local Huskys) have installed that’s been working great is the Skytec 149-NL. It’s a totally different unit than the one that instaled at the factory that people have problems with.

It doesn’t have permanent magnets to grow weak. It’s a little lighter than the Hartzell and a good deal less money. My mechanic has been using them for years in flight school airplanes because they take abuse well.
Brad I actually have the Hartzell but now with I had gone with the SkyTec. It spins up like a turbine on amphetamines. If you want to do just one thing to solve your problem, that SkyTec 149-NL is the answer.

Not bashing the Hartzell, it spins up much better than the original SkyTec but probably 1/2 the rpms of the NL. It’s my next starter.

Larson

The Hartzell is a tractor. I have had it start with low battery voltage to get me out of trouble on floats!

Sometimes the NL spins too fast for the mags!
Just my exposure….

GreggMotonaga

Manufacturers have several products. a "Sky-Tec" is not a "Sky-Tec" and a "Hartzell" is not a "Hartzell". In my experience, the models are more important than the brand. Search Forum for post on the thread, "MT prop and starter combo".

The starter that came with my plane was the Sky-Tec 149-12PM and it was an absolute junker. I replaced it with the Sky-Tec 149-NL and it has been trouble free for years.

My point is that you can't just say that a "Sky-Tec" starter is either good or bad. It depends on which Sky-Tec you are taking about. Same goes for Hartzell or any other brands out there.

Last edited:

groshel

Jack, I would pass on another Sky-Tec unless its the one Brad put in his airplane. My brother Kent knows the model number. I installed the Hartzell (ERZ- xxx) in mine, very happy with it. Not by my log books so I don't have model/part numbers in front of me. Maybe some one can pipe in with those.
There is more to this issue than the starter. Up sizing main power cable, different battery (Odyssey) solenoid and so on. All has been discussed in other threads.

Kurt
ERZ-8011

Oryx

Thanks
Jack
My plane has this starter and it has always worked great. The people at B&C are very helpful and easy get ahold of. I put a light weight alternator from them on as well.
Good luck,
Ben 43172706-E82B-4DD5-9D1B-71937695458A.jpeg

Pudz

Hello everyone

Replaced my old original Aviat 2008 skytech with the Sky-Tec 149-NL telling my LAME (A&P) that this is what the smart guys are doing (based on this thread !!). I had already replaced my battery to no avail.

The Sky-Tec 149-NL works VERY VERY well. The cockpit sticker says don't crank for greater than 10 seconds which seems a bit incredulous ... I think I have got to 2 seconds before the engine fires. No hang ups. Same battery. Dont think I will be hand cranking in the frost this coming winter...

Thanks for the great info

Pudz

TheFlyingMouse

I’ll also plug here for the 149-NL. It was the easiest of the recommended starters for my a&p to get ahold of at the time and has completely cured what had turned into a very painful warm start issue. It had gotten to the point where I thought it would leave me stranded on cross country flights (no experience with hand-propping).

Same battery that is a few years old in the factory rear location, and stock cables.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

CenterHillAg

Are any other changes needed to be made when switching to the 149-NL? Factory starter is just about done, I’d like to change it out while doing an oil change in the next couple weeks.

Snowbirdxx

There is a nice vid on youtube comparing the 149NL and the HArtzell. 149NL is loosing its genuine smoke really fast if cranking more than 10 sev.