Big Screw EZ tie down Review

flyingjack

Anybody have a field review on this tie down. I've read most of the old posts regarding tie downs and used an auger type (very labor intensive) tie down for my C210s for 35 yrs but now I'm getting old and lazy and need something for my Husky. This system appears to work better than most and a lot more convenient. Don't want to leave anything behind; aka duckbill. Not trying to re-invent the wheel; just looking for a field review.
Thanks
Jack

Ksmith

You bring the battery powered impact wrench and I'll bring the screws.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/bigscrew.php

I think what you need with the Big screw or any of them is a way to use tie downs without getting on your knees. Maybe there is an aluminum socket extension you could get or make, say 3' long, which you could store in your tail's cargo area. It may weigh less than a big hammer you are required to carry for other tie downs.

Mbbaumer

Hi, I used them at Sun ‘n Fun this year and I think they worked very well! Nice travel case included.

Mike

Snowbirdxx

I an using flyties and they are very easy to set up. Almost in any environment. Used two to pull down the wing of a Maule that had a flat in very soft ground. Any other tiedown would not have worked. We got the flat fixed and he could fly away.

flyingjack

Thanks for the Big Screw EZ opinions.

belloypilot: as a 40 yr earthwork contractor (digging most all soils, compacting most all soils and being tested in all phases) my opinion is most; if not all, remote commercial tie downs will NOT work in gravel or sand. Will probably take a buried anchor or similar. I'm going with the Big Screw EZ; more square inches of holding force and reasonably convenient.

MTV

Whatever you buy, don't use those chintzy cargo straps that are shown in Spruce's catalog page. Those things won't hold much when the wind's blowing. Don't know about the screw anchors themselves. But, there are too many potential failure points on those straps.

MTV

Ak Kurt

I remember Russ Munson lost his new Husky years ago in a blow at Oshkosh, he was using The Claw.

I use Flyties, have been over 20 years, no issues.
Kurt

FW Dave

Im a Fly Tie guy too.. I had a hard time getting them to even come out at OSH this year.. they are not going to pull out.