Bungee replacement for A-1

jkalus

D
I have lifted my wheels, one at a time, at my outside tie down without problems by ratcheting down the other side. In my hangar, it is easier to use the lifting rings.
Depending on on equipment you have available and how you like your pain, you could cut one bungee off and put a new one on, cut another old bungee, put a new one on, without using a lift or support. You just have to be a bit more careful with the knife.

Also put cardboard around your struts, or the tool will chip the paint.

redhotwindsock

Hi Thomas,

I didn't realize you distribute those parts by yourself. In that case, may I buy one set of super SGS and one cooling lip from you? I guess this is OK for Hancock because I haven't received any replay from them yet.

Yes, I'd love to have the drawing as well. I've seen a photo of it somewhere in the web site before but certainly it is nice to have a photo copy of the original drawing. Thank you in advance.

SJ

trapper

Thomas is correct on all the bungee sizes. I learned the hard way and took me 3 times to get it right. All 1380's was WAY too stiff and hard on the plane

Flying Dave

Devils advocate here but I think those that say that didn’t buy the plane new. I don’t remember people complaining of Husky gear when I was doing demos in brand new airplanes in 02-04. Maybe they did and folks were changing them out then and I have just forgotten. I’m sure Thomas and a few others would know because I do remember them on the forum 20 years ago. However, I would think if it came originally with three 1380’s (I don’t remember) and 10-15-20 years later you replaced them with new 1380’s, I’m guessing that there’s most likely going to be a difference in ride quality. So you try to get the same ride of the worn out 1380’s by using the weaker bungees. Which means to me that they will probably have to be replaced sooner than the originals. Again just shooting from the hip here.

On another thought process, were there some sort of drop tests that were done for certification at gross weights that resulted in the choice of that strength bungee? I imagine that they didn’t just throw a dart at the wall and choose them for no specific reason. Inquiring minds and all on that one.

I will admit that we recently replaced ours with all 1380’s and then cut two off on each side and replaced with 1280’s and there is a noticeable difference in ride quality. I do wonder though if we will get the same length of service out of them as the set that was removed.

Last edited:

David

My A&P I/A buddy, who specializes in tube and fabric airplanes said he has noticed on all bungees he has installed, whether Husky, Piper, etc. that they are lasting about 1/2 as long as those he installed 10 years ago. This is not a gut feeling. After the two of us talking about it, he actually checked his records going back 25+ years and his records bear out what he said. He is not sure if it because the bungees are made in China or if they have changed the actual bungee material. He sources most of his bungees from Aircraft Spruce. He told me to expect 2-3 years off of the new set I just installed, instead of the 7-11 years I got in the past.

harry harper

Previous owner put the A-1 on floats every float season for years. Then back on wheels for ski season. I can see only one log book entry noting that new bungees were installed when put back on wheels. And these were 1380's in 2017. Am I correct in assuming that when removing the gear the bungees must be cut off? Mine does seem to be a little on the firm side when I drop one in. I suspect I'm wearing new 1380's in that case. ???

Kent Wien

David, an acquaintance at Aviat told me the same thing a few weeks ago after I mentioned I was replacing a set after 2 years.

Snowbirdxx

SJ, all I need is your shipping arress then. And send a note to Holton Hankock that you do not need the SGS. And your Email as a personal message so I can mail you the drawing and instructions.
Thanks

trapper

I know I probably went too long but my original set lasted 18 years and still worked great without any noticeable sag. They looked like new when I cut them apart and checked the condition. They were all 1380's and probably got weaker as they aged but they worked great. Only made one landing on all new 1380's for me to cut one off and try a 1280HD. Tried it again and cut off another 1380 to get it to where it was before. I dropped it in fairly hard and its perfect for me on 31's.

Snowbirdxx

I flew the Husky with the Seaplanes North gear the last few days in the Alps. 3 X 1280 HD bungees and Super SGS . What a grat setup. First time for me to fly the extended gear , what a positive difference.

Don

Annual inspection underway and shop called to say one bungee was frayed, though only 2 years old and 100 hours on them. That’s not the problem, it’s a 1280 not 1380. I use 1x1280 and 2x1380 each side. IA says not airworthy and must replace the 1280s with 1380s. Says he confirmed with Aviat as it’s what’s shown in parts manual. Anyone run across documentation for the common mixing of 1280s and 1380s? Thanks.

Kent Wien

I think only the A-1C calls for mixing 1280HD and 1380 bungees. B and earlier are all 1380s. From what I understand.

trapper

Good luck with all 1380s. My old A1B Husky was like welded gear with that set up when I tried that combination