Bushwheels in Snow

Snowbirdxx

Guess why, since then, I am staying away from fresh snow that accumulates in windy conditions at very low temps.

Several factors made the outcome of this landing successful.

Early initiation of the 180 and having a DG
Luck
Pulling the carb heat immediately to get air from the cowl
Luck
Good performance of the RF skiluck
Luck

Raven

Yesterday I changed over from 31" ABW to 8.50's for winter and also installed Thomas's SGS kit. I haven't had a chance to fly on this new configuration but look forward to it tomorrow hopefully if the low level jet moves on and winds calm down. Looking even further ahead to spring and summer and honestly evaluating the missions I anticipate flying there will still be some asphalt taxiways and runways in my future and wondering if I should sell the 31" AWB and replace with 26" GY's which I believe would a good compromise? I may have answered my own question thinking out loud here but would appreciate any advice from you guys with years of experience on type and different configurations. Also what is a fair price to ask for 31" AWB w/ wheels and +/- 350 hrs on/off grass? .. Thanks in advance and seasons greetings!

belloypilot

Dang, I just ordered a new set of 31s. $1700 US each. Should be able to come up with a price for yours based on that.

I have 26 GYs, 31s, and 8.50s. My $0.02:

The 8.50s will take you anywhere you’d likely consider an airstrip even with minimal maintenance. A lot of bang for the buck. Stand up well to asphalt and a bit of tread for rainy days.

26” GYs aren’t that much better than 8.50s, in my opinion. You get a bit more prop clearance if that’s needed, but they are hard. Nothing like ABWs. I suspect they wear well, but for me I don’t really see the point.

31s (and probably 29s as well) are a whole different game. The size is only half the story. It’s the pillowy soft ability to soak up lumps and bumps for truly off airport operation that sets them apart. If you don’t plan to go off airport there’s no point in the extra weight and drag, but if you do it’s a game changer.

Maybe I should have talked up the 26s a bit more and traded you for your 31s :).

dogday

Raven, you asked "Also what is a fair price to ask for 31" AWB w/ wheels and +/- 350 hrs on/off grass?"

+/- 350 hours may have little to do with a fair price depending on UV light and other environmental exposures. Are there any signs of weather cracks anywhere on your tires?

Raven

Raven, you asked "Also what is a fair price to ask for 31" AWB w/ wheels and +/- 350 hrs on/off grass?"

+/- 350 hours may have little to do with a fair price depending on UV light and other environmental exposures. Are there any signs of weather cracks anywhere on your tires?

Thanks for your $0.02 Dogday, much appreciated.

Raven

I bought this A1C-200 beginning of last summer with the 31” AWBs from very fussy owners who always hangered it on their grass airstrip. There are no signs of weather cracks and tires appear in very good condition. I am responsible for +/- 50 hrs of 50/50 front/backcountry use which includes asphalt at my base airport. I!m not needing to sell 31’s but at same time don’t want to abuse them on asphalt or have them just sit in my hangar.