CA (KCMA) to MT (5U7)

TheMosquito

I have an opportunity to go on a fishing trip on May 14 in fort smith. I’d like to fly my husky there but am not quite sure what I would have in store. Any advice?

I looked up weather and seems like it’s one of the better months to do this trip. I do not care to go through huge mountain ranges so I chose a little longer route. My biggest concern is getting stuck from weather. I understand it can happen, but I rather choose a time to do a trip like this when weather is more in my favor. Flying commercial is a lot faster/reliable, but not as enjoyable.

Currently my plan is to wait until the week before to start viewing weather and if it will be suitable, I’ll fly. If it’s nasty, go commercial. My question to the group is: what weather should I expect on this route for mid may?

Route:
KCMA; UT47; KPGA; U34; KRIW; U68; 5U7

friend of mine has a place at UT47 so I may stay there one night, if not I’ll be passing it.

rnorty

I can't speak for that route, or the exact weather that time of year, but I've gone back in fourth in the Husky twice from KCOE -> KMYF, in August, and April. I do the same trip regularly in my Cessna 400 (1-2x per month). I will say this:
1) You cannot outrun any weather in a Husky as I'm sure you've experienced. Fortunately there shouldn't be thunderstorms in May, but I would definitely add at least 1, maybe 2 cushion days.
2) The route you picked leads me to think your overnight stays will be potentially freezing, I'd make sure you have an engine heater if you don't already have one, and an insulated cowl cover of some sort. Maybe those wing covers from Bruces to keep the frost off the wing so you don't have to wait for it to melt? I'd say just make sure you overnight in hangars, but I feel like that potentially confines you to specific airports when they may not be your best bet in a slow cruising plane like the Husky.

When I go KMYF->KCOE in the 400 I go HEC->0O2->0L4->KCOE. I then check the weather for Palm Springs, Elko, Caldwell about a week in advance and it's usually reliable enough. Then 24-48 hours before, I use the Cloud imagery in ForeFlight or AviationWeather. I will stress, and I'm sure you're aware, to err on the side of caution because there are places you're flying over where you won't have a airport for maybe 90-120 minutes and won't have a place to easily escape the crap.

Good luck, hopefully that's helpful.

Last edited:

flyingjack

My opinion: That kind of trip with a Husky is a wonderful "adventure"; take extra time an enjoy the trip. We (wife/I) love our long cross countries with the Husky; but, we bring camper as well and explore along the way. If is strictly fun transportation; go commercial. WX over the rocks can go bad in a hurry; as stated above, you can't outrun it in a Husky.

trapper

I have flown there many times in the summer months. I usually stop in Jackpot Nevada and fuel up. There are lots of places along the way like Winnemuca also for fuel. Just check the weather and look out for thunderstorms as they can build fast in the afternoon.

TheFlyingMouse

Not familiar with this route but I did pass through north of Lake Powell going east to west bringing our Husky back from south of the Denver area and up through Reno. LP is pretty in a desolate desert lake sort of way. Lots of dirt roads to set down on, but not much life and even fewer airports. Was there in late September and had no weather issues to speak of. Cruised through a couple of the passes in southwest CO at 12,000 feet and it was calm/safe. I wouldn’t try those without perfect visibility or if there’s any real wind/storms around.

Just go IFR (I follow roads).

We were also carrying a garmin inReach mini with service that is part of my standard kit now.

Gust Kalatzes

I have an opportunity to go on a fishing trip on May 14 in fort smith. I’d like to fly my husky there but am not quite sure what I would have in store. Any advice?

I looked up weather and seems like it’s one of the better months to do this trip. I do not care to go through huge mountain ranges so I chose a little longer route. My biggest concern is getting stuck from weather. I understand it can happen, but I rather choose a time to do a trip like this when weather is more in my favor. Flying commercial is a lot faster/reliable, but not as enjoyable.

Currently my plan is to wait until the week before to start viewing weather and if it will be suitable, I’ll fly. If it’s nasty, go commercial. My question to the group is: what weather should I expect on this route for mid may?

Route:
KCMA; UT47; KPGA; U34; KRIW; U68; 5U7

friend of mine has a place at UT47 so I may stay there one night, if not I’ll be passing it.
Storms are more isolated that time of year but pay a little respect to the winds. That stretch from Page up, although lower terrain, can get rough due to the rocky terrain. Looks like a fun trip!

David

Just an idea! If you fly from KCMA to KOVE (OROVILLE, CA) it is only 388 sm and about 3 hrs 15 min in the Husky. You will be flying up the Central Valley the whole way and it usually is very clear and a beautiful flight. Fuel up and fly direct from KOVE to KMAN (Nampa, Idaho) 385 sm. You will not have to fly over 10,000 and it usually takes me 3 hrs 20 minutes in my Husky. Spend the night at Nampa, Idaho and it is a direct flight to 5U7 of 439 sm. The days are long enough to make it in one long tiring day, but I would stop in Nampa for the night and you will have time to see the Warhawk Air Museum which is adjacent to the field ( https://warhawkairmuseum.org/). Also Mission Aviation Fellowship has their training base at Nampa (https://maf.org/). Worth a tour. Great folks.

I have flown a bunch of times from China Lake to Oroville, then to Nampa in May. China Lake is a similar distance in S. Cal. Tons of places to land from KOVE to KMAN, once you clear the Sierras. No fuel at any of the places. Bring water in case you have to land. Lots of old emergency military airstrips in decent shape in route.

]No matter what---HAVE FUN!!!! That is what the Husky is all about.

TheMosquito

Thank you all for the advice. I plan on leaving KCMA around noon after work Thursday to get to Utah. Stay the night there and probably get moving early in the morning Friday (around 4-5). This way I can attempt to beat any afternoon weather and hopefully make it to the destination or at least get close.

I would prefer to take more time doing this trip but I’m going to chalk it up as a test run for now and get a feel for the lay of the land. I know that may not be as enjoyable but I still think it beats the hell out of wearing a mask crammed in an airbus at 30k.

David that was my initial thought. I used to live near red bluff and figured it would be nice doing my return that way. I would like to try a different route going north to see what it’s like east of here (KCMA). Maybe I’ll let Mother Nature decide which route I take I guess.

Thank you everyone for the advice. Please keep it coming!