Cracked #4 side baffle

TheFlyingMouse

Hi folks. I was going to go around and Silicon a whole bunch of gaps but I wanted to get everyone’s opinion on this cracked number 4 side baffle first. Obviously happened from vibration.

Replace with new (I would order #3 upgrade and front air dams at same time)?

Silicon the daylights out of it (would that pass annual inspection?) Go steal a tig welder?

Best way to prevent from cracking again?

Attachments

• IMG_8673.jpeg
    IMG_8673.jpeg
    654.1 KB · Views: 48

bumper

Looks to be easy enough to make a new one. For the future, I also suggest lining the inside of the cowl wherever the flex baffling rubs. This cuts down on the engine vibration that's carried into the airframe, as well as reduces stress on the baffling itself.

To do this, use Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMW-PE for short) tape on the inside of the cowling in all areas the baffling touches. This tape comes in different widths and thicknesses. You'll want a thinner tape as that's easier to work with in making bends. Two inches wide or so.

UHMW is so mechanically strong, that it won't stretch to make compound curves, you'll need to cut (scissors etc) and overlap in places etc. UHMW is slicker than snake snot of a flat rock, though, being only eclipsed in that department by Teflon (which is nowhere near as mechanically strong).

Clean areas to tape well with denatured alcohol etc. to remove oil. The tape is available on-line, Amazon etc. Like most tape, it wants to be at room temperature or warmer for application. a

For a quick repair, you could rivet in a doubler, or clean surface real well, apply dilute phosphoric acid (Metal Prep etc.) to the aluminum, then use a good glue for the doubler.

TheFlyingMouse

Does a repair like this fall under “preventative maintenance” or do I need to seek a sign-off? I’m leaning on the doubler to avoid “equivalent manufactured parts” headaches.

I think I did buy a roll of UHMW tape after reading one of your other posts, bumper. Unfortunately I haven’t gotten around to it yet. Sounds like I better do that asap before any other baffles come apart.

airplanebrad

I make all of mine, often reusing the rubber. The one you have that is cracked, is common to crack. Make it. It’s simple. Use 3003 Alclad, .032”. Order from spruce or airparts.

TheFlyingMouse

Hey brad. It does look to be the easiest part in there to make as it requires no bends. I’m not scared of manufacturing it, just the paperwork questions. Do you just get your a&p to sign these off?

What’s the correct hand tool to match the Aviat flexible baffle install? I found the assorted flat rivet kit and a “hand rivet squeezer” plus a misnamed pack of dies on Spruce.

All my household rivet tools are for pop rivets. Never dealt with this kind before.

airplanebrad

Hey brad. It does look to be the easiest part in there to make as it requires no bends. I’m not scared of manufacturing it, just the paperwork questions. Do you just get your a&p to sign these off?

What’s the correct hand tool to match the Aviat flexible baffle install? I found the assorted flat rivet kit and a “hand rivet squeezer” plus a misnamed pack of dies on Spruce.

All my household rivet tools are for pop rivets. Never dealt with this kind before.
Get him to sign or or just R&R it, make it perfect and it never happened.