EarthX battery

A Gades

I won a gift certificate for one. Got the battery sitting here ready to go. 18# savings in an already tail heavy plane sounds good. Question is, anyone installed the TSO’d battery and actually got the field approval? How did you vent it and hook up the LED indicator light. Pictures?

Carolina Husky

I won a gift certificate for one. Got the battery sitting here ready to go. 18# savings in an already tail heavy plane sounds good. Question is, anyone installed the TSO’d battery and actually got the field approval? How did you vent it and hook up the LED indicator light. Pictures?
What is the model number of the battery that is TSO'd for the Husky? Have they gotten as stc yet?

A Gades

ETX-900-TSO rev a. There is no STC for it. EarthX said it just requires a “simple field approval”. Was told by my mechanic that there’s no way it will get approved according to “his guy”. Apparently one started on fire on a work bench with a charger on it. Don’t know what to think about this.

joemcd

I think the Earth X is a good battery. There are some things you have to understand about it and you should only use the Optimate charger that Earth X sells. I know this has been debated in the past, but I don’t think it is any different than installing an Odyssey battery in the same location now that is is TSO’d.

Have you asked Earth X if they know of any field approvals? Maybe you can get a copy of one and that would be a great start.

A Gades

Odyssey batteries are not approved either as I’m told. Are odyssey batteries lithium as well? I’ve been using an odyssey in my big diesel welder for years. Love it. Crank it hard in winter with glow plugs. Still works great.

Snowbirdxx

Odysey usually makes gel fleece lead batteries. Very dependable, never burn.

As I stated before I was using a LiFe Po in the Husky for 2 years, till the one in a friend's Rv 7 blew up. Since then Odysey.

trapper

I had an Odyssee in a Harley with a big motor and it struggled to start it. Put in a Earth X and its spins to over I would guess 50% better and it really light compared to anything else

Tommy2

There have been several discussions about this on SuperCub.org. Many have been doing the install with just a logbook entry per 43-13 appendix about battery’s. I OK with this on the odyssey battery that is cert. but not the non cert. ones. They really aren’t the same as the SBS-j-16. I’ve installed a few in different airplanes using that Ref. Just remember cable length makes a difference in performance of a battery.

Gust Kalatzes

I've run both to. Dimensions same and no notice in performance difference (my experience) one V's the other in rear factory location. One PMA'd, one not.

FW Dave

Do you guys notice a difference between a Healthy Concorde RG25, and the Odyssey J16 in cranking power? in the stock location..

Ak Kurt

What is the weight savings between the Odyssey SBS-J16 and the stock Concorde RG25?

Kurt

Gust Kalatzes

Concorde is 22.75 lbs and J16 is 14.8 lbs for 7.95 lb savings. I will install on the inside firewall or under the floor for wire weigh savings and starting. The only concern under the floor is if a jump is needed.

The C at my altitude 5,800 with the RG25 has tried to stop at the compression stroke already. B never did except at sea level. Since installing the J16 it has never done that again in stock location, even at sea level that I remember.

The Earthx still scares me, but I’ve not researched to see if melt down problem is resolved. May need to be in a full enclosure with vent.

MTV

We replaced the miserable gel batteries that used to come standard in Huskys with J-16 Odyssey batteries, in the stock location. Pretty much a simple bolt in, and they cranked fine....much better than those gel batteries, anyway. Never had a problem with an Odyssey battery not starting an engine, and I've used them a lot on both work and personal planes.

I believe that the EarthX recommendation is that they be vented to the outside if mounted inside the cabin. No need to vent if mounted outside the cabin, apparently. In time, I suspect these will be the ultimate battery. I think I'd be waiting a while until they have a track record in actual use. Sounds like they could be the cat's meow, but I'm one of those lucky dudes who's had a NiCad battery go into thermal runaway, so a little skeptical.

MTV

FW Dave

I have a buddy with the Earth X experimental in his IO540 rocket... it cranks the engine like it doesn't have plugs.. its easily twice as fast as the old concord.. he has a #2 cable and a B&C starter. will be good to watch..

In the mean time, Kurt and I are wondering about replacing the concorde with the J16 odyssey, in the stock location.. I have the stock battery cranking the motor pretty well now with the new relay and rewired cables, but more is better :) .

FW Dave

Concorde is 22.75 lbs and J16 is 14.8 lbs for 7.95 lb savings. I will install on the inside firewall or under the floor for wire weigh savings and starting. The only concern under the floor is if a jump is needed.

The C at my altitude 5,800 with the RG25 has tried to stop at the compression stroke already. B never did except at sea level. Since installing the J16 it has never done that again in stock location, even at sea level that I remember.

The Earthx still scares me, but I’ve not researched to see if melt down problem is resolved. May need to be in a full enclosure with vent.
Gust what I have seen before is Anderson Power Pole 200 amp plug capped off in an accessible place, and your jumper cables have an matching adapter.. I could also see using XT150 plugs with #8 wire, that is good for 150 amps. I built a Jumper once out of 8 A123 cells, 4S4P setup, and it would put out 150 amps at about 11.5 volts for 15 sec.. I used a EC5 plug and #10 wire.. That little battery would start a 4 cyl car, and it fit in the palm of your hand.. you get the idea. an accessible coverable high current plug

FW Dave

Im plan to clean the wiring connections up on Kurts plane first, before we change any components, and see if it helps the starter hit harder.. trying to discern if its the wiring or is it the better relay that makes the difference.. The Tyco has silver posts in it, which in the spec says max voltage drop is 50mv.. thats excellent continuity.